Super Bowl XXXIX

Ed Board members pick this weekend’s big-game winners

Toby Knighton, Opinion Editor: Now, I don’t really follow sports, except hockey, so I may not be the best resource for Super Bowl information. However, I think that the Eagles have the better team. They showed their ability playing against the Falcons, and it should serve them well.

Austin Kilgore, Photo Editor: Eagles by 10, Terrell Owens scores at least one touchdown, probably two. Despite still being injured and not medically cleared by his doctors, the key to this game is going to be Owens. He will play well, probably not to his personal best, but because he is so talented, an even slightly less effective Owens is still a threat. T.O. will be on top of the ball like a frat boy on a freshman girl. In addition to what will be a harrowing performance on the field, he will inspire his fellow teammates and bring out their best, especially quarterback Donovan McNabb. McNabb has wanted to get his team to the big game ever since the Eagles drafted him in 1999, and he’s not going to let this chance pass him by. Jeff Thomason is also going to be a factor in the game. The retired ex-Eagle was signed to play in the Super Bowl after Chad Lewis was injured in the NFC title game. He has been staying in shape by participating in triathlons and this is a dream come true for him, he will exceed expectations. I think the Patriots are going to let their experience get the best of them and they will underestimate the will and determination of the Eagles. The Eagles will perform well.

Clark Castle, Editor in Chief: For all the talk the Patriots get about being a dynasty, they’ve played in some squeakers when they’re in the Super Bowl. This year, they’ll win easily. Tom Brady is too experienced not to get another ring. But the secret to the Patriots’ winning formula is Bill Belichick. He and his coaches do such a good job of mixing up the plays (especially in the playoffs), that teams rarely get a read on what’s coming next. Just look at the Patriots two playoff games this year for proof. I’m going with the Patriots by two or three touchdowns even though I’m tired of them winning. And P.S.— Expect less than five plays out of T.O. He’s blowing smoke if he thinks he’s playing the whole game.

Ryan Trimble, Managing Editor: The experience of playing in two of the past three Super Bowls, mixed with superior game-planning from Belichick and his staff will have the Patriots up 17 by half, and me snoozing by the Tostitos. Not that I don’t think the Eagles have a nice team, but T.O. will be running his mouth more than running patterns. As for McNabb, well, look what New England’s “D” did to Peyton Manning in the AFC divisional playoff game. Pats by 19.

Audrey Schlichenmaier, Copy Chief: I hate the Eagles!!!