Muniz showcases ‘Clouds’

The Pollock Gallery is a view of contemporary artwork and an insight to what is currently going on in the world of art today. This month’s display is from artist Vik Muniz’ project called Equivalents: The Room with the Clouds, borrowed from The West Family Collection. Originally from Sao Paulo, Brazil, he is known for turning the 1920 cloud study of Alfred Stieglitz into his own signature artwork. Muniz transforms cotton balls into clouds that resemble blurred forms of various objects and then photographs them. The same forms are then put into contrasting bronze structures.

Muniz’ stylistic technique uses visuals as methods of communication. The exhibit consists of the artistic style of combining photography and media with different experiences.

The Pollock Gallery is in association with the Arts Division of the Meadows School of the Arts. The arts department anticipates that students, faculty and campus visitors will take the opportunity to view the creative pieces.

“The turn out is not as high traffic as museums, but we have had a really good turn out for other displays and this one in particular,” student assistant Na’Cole Trujillo said.

Pollock Gallery Director Phillip Vankeur has worked with many art collectors from New York to gain access to contemporary but rare pieces of work.

Different artists and works from The West Family Collection will be displayed through March 12, and The Pollock Gallery will continue to show pieces from other collections through May.

The gallery is located on the second floor of Hughes-Trigg Student Center. The hours of operation are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Saturday it is open from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. and the gallery is closed on Wednesdays and Sundays.