‘Melancholy’ delivers a fresh dose of happiness

Protagonist Tilly, played by Natalie Young, talks with Lorenzo the Unfeeling, portrayed by Brian Wirkowicz, in Upstart Production’s new play “Melancholy.”
Photo courtesy of Upstart Production

Protagonist Tilly, played by Natalie Young, talks with Lorenzo the Unfeeling, portrayed by Brian Wirkowicz, in Upstart Production’s new play “Melancholy.” (Photo courtesy of Upstart Production )

A green clad building sits nestled behind the Dallas skyline, dimly lit by a single halogen light.

Inside its rusty door is a small stage cluttered with antique windows and a single cello player.

That is the setting for Upstart Production’s newest venture, “Melancholy.”

Directed by Jonathan Taylor, the contemporary dramatic comedy tells the story of Tilly, a depressed young banker artfully portrayed by Natalie Young.

Tilly, while deeply sorrowful, has the odd power of making all the men and women she encounters fall in love with her, from her European therapist, Lorenzo the Unfeeling, to her hairdresser, Frances.

There’s a potency and vulnerability to Tilly’s sadness that draws people in.

Perhaps the most curious of Tilly’s traits is that she seems perfectly content to be sad.

Young communicates a sense of despondent beauty and humility in her movements and interactions.

It is this beauty that attracts her love interests, Lorenzo, Frank and Frances whose roles are equally well acted by the supporting cast.

Brian Witkowicz, as therapist Lorenzo, brings a comically exaggerated sense of eloquence and earnest desire to the play.

Duane Deering, as the tailor Frank, and Diana Gonzalez, as Frances, endearingly communicate their protective and passionate love for the protagonist.

Adding tangential comedy is the nurse Joan, Frances’ partner.

With her bodacious laugh and an insecurity with love that comes with old age, LuLu Ward engages the audience with her every line.

These characters not only engage the audience, but also begin to please Tilly.

And slowly, Tilly’s sadness begins to ebb away into happiness.

The character’s personalities are also communicated through the whimsical costumes designed by Samantha Rodriguez.

The play quickly changes pace when Tilly finds happiness after Frank wishes her a Happy Birthday.

Like an emotional see-saw the supporting cast contracts Tilly’s melancholy as Tilly becomes euphoric.

The characters each battle their depression differently, one even turns into an almond ( a motif in the play). Hilarity ensues.

The backdrop to the heartwarming tale is an inventive set produced by set designer Rachel Rouse that uses tight theater space imaginatively and efficiently.

With a solid cast, a quirky story and the occasional musical number, “Melancholy” is satisfying and compelling.

“Melancholy” runs at the Upstart Theater until Feb. 4.