Hypnotic Donuts charms on first day

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
Hypnotic Donuts, which opened Sunday morning, is located on Garland Road, just east of White Rock Lake.

Hypnotic Donuts, which opened Sunday morning, is located on Garland Road, just east of White Rock Lake. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

The first thing I noticed about Hypnotic Donuts?

The monstrous line of waiting customers extending out the door and down the sidewalk.

I should have known it’d be busy on a Sunday morning, but I can’t remember ever waiting in line for a donut.

If you’ve ever heard of Voodoo Donuts in Portland, then you can get a pretty good idea of what Hypnotic Donuts is all about.

Specializing in odd, delectable and sometimes shocking combinations ­— this place doesn’t offer your basic donut fare.

Owner James St. Peter started his business when he was turned down for opening a second Voodoo Donuts here in Dallas.

St. Peter worked a long time without an actual storefront.

A woman standing next to me in line who is friends with St. Peter said that initially the donuts were sold online and on the weekends at various locations.

Hypnotic Donuts then moved its operation to The Pizza Guy, a pizzeria in North Dallas.

As their following continued to increase, St. Peter eventually decided to take the next step and open his own store.

This Sunday marked the grand opening of Hypnotic Donuts, and I found myself among the massive crowd of patrons anxious to try these unique donuts.

Before I’d even made it to the door, an employee announced that they were running low, and the chances of anything being left when we made it to the front were slim.

I checked my watch; the store had been open less than three hours and they were already selling out?

When I finally made it to the front of the line only three kinds of donuts were left, but I was happy any were left at all.

I ended up with a root beer glazed donut, a Good Morning Captain and one of their signature Hypnotic donuts.

The Good Morning Captain is a chocolate cake donut covered with chocolate frosting and sprinkled with a healthy dose of Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch.

Similar, but far more decadent, is the Hypnotic — a chocolate cake donut with a blend of chocolate, caramel and peanut butter frosting, topped with crushed pretzels, crushed Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch and then more caramel and chocolate.

It goes without saying that these donuts are not for the faint of stomach, but those willing to take one on will not be disappointed.

Luckily, for those who aren’t feeling the dessert for breakfast, Hypnotic Donuts offers granola bars, chicken biscuits and other biscuit creations.

Fans of honey butter chicken biscuits should check out Hypnotic’s selection.

They have four variations on the Southern favorite that are sure to please.