Pollock Gallery opens nude drawing exhibit in Hughes-Trigg Center

Spencer J Eggers/ The Daily Campus
Students explore the Unadorned exhibit in the Pollock Gallery

Students explore the Unadorned exhibit in the Pollock Gallery (Spencer J Eggers/ The Daily Campus)

Most students would not expect to see an American masterpiece in Hughes-Trigg Student Center.

But nestled amongst the mundane daily services of SMU’s central hub is The Pollock Gallery, which plays host to a number of artistic exhibits every year.

Students can now head over to the gallery to see a breathtaking array of pieces from American artists as part of the current exhibit “Unadorned: Drawings of the Nude.”

The exhibit features works by artists Nathan Oliveira, Sigmund Abeles, Lois Dodd and John Lincoln from the Pollock Gallery’s paper collection.

Despite all works featuring a nude person, each artist sheds a different light on the subject matter.

“We tried to get as many points of view as possible so that you could see just what these artists are capable of,” said Ben Bascombe, deputy director of the Pollock Gallery.

“We wanted to show artists engaging with the nude, … to show pieces that showcased these artists’ talents most specifically,” Bascombe said.

Directed by art professor Philip Van Keuren, The Pollock Gallery is mainly geared toward art majors, but all students can learn something from this exhibit.

“It really is the student body that we are trying to target as an audience, primarily the art students, but also the greater community,” Bascombe said. “We are an academic tool for students to learn more.”

David Doyle, Director of the University Honors Program thinks the Pollock Gallery is a great resource for students.

“I think it’s very important,” Doyle said. “Everyone should go visit it.”

Bascombe believes this exhibit has a lot to offer the student body.

“[Students] could gain an appreciation of an artistic experience,” Bascombe said. “They could enrich their lives by these beautiful works that we have on display.”

“The human form has been a long tradition in art, so it’s a great opportunity,” Bascombe said.

The current exhibit on nude drawings is just one of many exhibits put on by the Pollock Gallery each academic year.

Last semester, the gallery hosted an exhibit featuring self-taught masters of American art, and later in this semester, the Pollock will feature art by prominent New York artist Robert Moskowitz.

Junior Alex Katsorelos never knew that the gallery existed, but now says she would enjoy visiting it.

“I didn’t know there was a gallery located in Hughes-Trigg, but I think that it’s awesome,” Katsorelos said. “I’ve always liked the Meadows Museum, so I think it’s great to have something in Hughes-Trigg.”

Sophomore Kaleigh Schropp agrees. “I didn’t know there was gallery in Hughes-Trigg, but I’m always looking for a way to discover new art.”

The exhibit is open until Feb. 11, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. every weekday except Wednesday.