How to survive SMU without a car

While the majority of SMU students who live on campus drive a car, day-to-day travel can be a nuisance to those who do not.

However, Grad student Sherry Shi said the Mustang Express is convenient for those who do not have cars, or for students, like herself, who find it difficult to find a parking space or can’t afford a parking permit.

Purchasing a Dallas Area Rapid Transit pass is a convenient and cheap option for running errands, like grocery shopping and banking, and also provides access to entertainment venues. 

Transit passes are available to SMU students for $5 through the Park N’ Pony office, and it pays for itself after the first use.

SMU grad students Mikesh Triveti and Lucia Wang said they ride the Mustang Express out of necessity, and chose to live along the route to make getting to school and buying groceries easier. 

Students have many options for grocery shopping. The Market in Hughes-Trigg is the most convenient choice. However, for a wider selection, there are various grocery stores within walking distance, and more that are accessible by the bus. Plaza Health Food and Tom Thumb are located in Snider Plaza, a short walk across Hillcrest. There is a Kroger at Mockingbird Station and Central Market on Lovers and Greenville, and both are on the Mustang Express Route.

Many major banks are within walking distance of SMU. Bank of America, Chase and Bank of Texas are all on Hillcrest. Wachovia, Wells Fargo and Legacy Bank are located in Snider Plaza, and Park Cities Bank is in Mockingbird Station.

Juan Garcia has a car, but uses Mustang Express when he needs to go to Expressway Tower for work. He said he does not use public transportation all the time because he does not want to time his activities to a bus schedule. However, he said it is a good option for students without a car. 

There are food options galore along both bus routes and within walking distance.  In Park Cities Plaza, there is Pokey O’s, a cookie and ice cream place, Starbucks, Roly Poly, a sandwich shop, and La Madeleine. In Snider plaza, well within walking distance and also on the bus route, there is Jiang’s Cuisine, Cisco grill and another Starbucks. On Hillcrest there is Sushi Kyoto, Jimmy Johns, and an I Heart Yogurt.

Along the Mustang Express is Mockingbird Station, also walking distance, which has Café Express, RockFish, Cold Stone Creamery and Starbucks. Additionally along Mustang Express Route, is a Jamba Juice at Greenville and Southwestern Blvd., and the Rusty Taco at Greenville and SMU Blvd.

Another bus route, the 539, stops by Inwood Village, which boasts Café Istanbul, Cantina Laredo and Raffa’s among others. Inwood Village also houses the Inwood Theatre, a small three-screen theatre that plays an eclectic selection of films at midnight on weekends.

Mockingbird Station has the Angelica, Urban Outfitters, American Apparel and the Gap. Across the street in Mockingbird Central Plaza is the Pocket Sandwich Theatre, a dinner theater that shows mainly comedies, melodramas and musicals.

“Obviously not everyone can bring a car on campus, and you won’t have to rely on other people to give you a ride,” Garcia said.