Grad turned bunny

Since appearing in Playboy’s 50th Anniversary issue as one of America’s 50 most beautiful women in December 2003, Amber Campisi has been patiently awaiting her turn for a centerfold spread. Her time has arrived.

The 2003 SMU graduate has been given the title of Miss February in the upcoming issue of the infamous magazine.

“It’s so exciting,” Campisi said, “I’ve been waiting so long for this, but it’s been worth it.” She also explained that friends and family have also been eagerly awaiting her centerfold spread. What Campisi didn’t know, though, was how busy she would be. Since finding out that she would be given the distinctive title of Miss February, the Playmate has co-hosted on six local radio programs, given countless interviews and autographs, and has even been traveling.

“I got to host an awards show for Spike TV, and was treated like a celebrity,” Campisi said, laughing, “I even received one of those great awards show gift bags they always talk about; it had an iPod, all kinds of goodies.”

The spread itself even had a special meaning for Campisi. In some of the pictures, she was placed in a setting similar to that of the kitchen of her family’s historic local restaurant, Campisi’s Egyptian Lounge, where the Playmate works during her time in Dallas. She even wears a Campisi’s shirt in a few of the photos. In others, obviously, she doesn’t.

“I love the restaurant scene, it’s so me,” Campisi said.

When things quiet down in the aftermath of her success, Campisi said she would continue to work at the restaurant’s Mockingbird location. As for now, Campisi plans to enjoy the thrills.

“This is one of the best things ever, I’m having so much fun,” she said. “I’m just so honored and excited right now.”

Because of the Miss February distinction, Campisi is automatically eligible for Playmate of the Year honors, with prizes including $100,000 and other benefits of the title, including travel opportunities.

Campisi will hold an autograph session at The Original Campisi’s Egyptian Lounge at 5610 East Mockingbird Ln. from 4-6 p.m. Copies of the magazine featuring Campisi will be available for sale.