Meet your student body secretary

SMU junior and Student Body Secretary Katie Perkins.
Photo Courtesy of Katie Perkins

SMU junior and Student Body Secretary Katie Perkins. (Photo Courtesy of Katie Perkins)

Katie Perkins is a junior double majoring in English and political science and minoring in human rights. she can usually be found in the Student Senate office in the SAMSA.

Perkins is originally from Greenville,  Texas. And, while she may have small town roots, she has definitely adapted well to the big-city life of SMU. 

In addition to serving as Student Body Secretary,  she is also the new member educator in the Christian Sorority Eta Iota Sigma, a member of College Republicans and a resident and active participant in the Service House. 

Perkins’ favorite food is anything of the Tex-Mex variety, and she also enjoys sampling the occasional cup of yogurt from Yogurtland. Her favorite colors are Harvard Red and Yale Blue

She also interns with the youth group at First United Methodist- Richardson, so if you are looking for her on the weekends, that is probably where she can be found.

Her favorite part about SMU is the people. “Everyone is so incredible, and very friendly,” Perkins said. “Meet as many people as you can, SMU is great.” 

Her biggest piece of advice for freshmen is to study hard, even for the easy classes. “Go to class, do your homework, and don’t care what other people think about you,” Perkins said. “Oh, and join Student Senate.”