Mustangs to face UTEP

Following a road trip that included stops in Honolulu, San Jose and Ruston, La., the men’s basketball team (8-7, 3-4 WAC) will return home this evening to host the University of Texas-El Paso (16-3, 3-1 WAC), hoping to reverse a recent WAC swing that has seen them drop three of their last four games.

If they wish to claim their first home victory since Jan. 6 however, they will have to do so against a sizzling UTEP offense.

In addition, three UTEP players are averaging more than 10 points per game — senior Omar Thomas (19.7), junior Jason Williams (13.4) and senior Filiberto Rivera (12.4) – but SMU freshman guard Jon Killen feels confident in the Mustangs’ ability to keep the trio in check.

“We pride ourselves on our defense,” he said. “We feel like we can guard anyone in the country right now.”

An added challenge will come in the form of nagging injuries. junior guard Bryan Hopkins (wrist), freshman guard Derrick Roberts (knee) and senior forward Patrick Simpson (ankle) are all questionable against the Miners and will be game-time decisions.

“[UTEP] is going to be a tough team,” senior guard Mike Dement said, “and our injuries aren’t going to help any.”

Though Hopkins, Roberts and Simpson have combined to score 519 points with 113 assists this year, Killen expects other players to chip in against UTEP.

“As long as we can put five players on the court,” he said, “we will be okay.”

In 15 games, Killen himself has contributed 27 points, 12 steals and 15 defensive rebounds.

Likewise, sophomore forward Devon Pearson has been a key component to the SMU offense which has averaged 70 points per game.

Pearson, leading the team with a free throw percentage of .875, has poured in 124 points and snagged 19 steals. He is also tied with Simpson with 14 total blocks.

Dement also expects Lithuanian forward Paulius Ritter to present a physical barrier for the Miners’ offense. “He just has the size and body that he can throw around.”

At 6-foot-7 and 255 pounds, Ritter has grabbed six rebounds in just 25 minutes this season.

“If he can come in and have a productive game,” Dement said, “that will be good for us.”

The Mustangs take the court tonight against the Miners at 8 p.m. in Moody Coliseum.