Letter to the Editor

Dear Daily Campus,

I am writing in response to “Fashion Do’s and Don’ts of Greeks.” I am completely in support of a column about fashion, which I think we have plenty of here in Dallas, especially on the SMU campus. I do not support, and in fact am somewhat embarrassed about, an article that negates and mocks the recruitment process our campus has worked so hard to make fair, enjoyable and a means to an end goal of belonging to a sorority house where one can hopefully rise above superficial stereotypes like the ones Fischer chose to emphasize in her article.

Maybe it’s just me, but referring to recruitment as a “day-of-hell” and “torture” and noting that “celebration is mandatory” is not particularly welcoming to the lovely first-year women who are in these first weeks of school, elated with their new ability to wear their Greek letters. Man, nothing says welcome like describing how awful the recruitment process was and letting first year women know that the clothes they wore are now the object of caustic, and perhaps in some cases hurtful, remarks. Recruitment is difficult, I am not denying that, but I do not see how this article did anything but categorize the entire week as devoid of any genuine or sincere meaning, of which I am positive it has. Focusing on the fashion trends of the week I can see, but mocking a process that has lead to one of the best things about my college experience (and many others as well) is not something that adds anything to this campus.

Also, I didn’t think the “obnoxiously bright mustard-colored shirt” was all that bad.

Megan King

Senior advertising major, English minor and a member of Chi Omega