Lacrosse team looking for fresh start

Lacrosse team looking for fresh start
Photo courtesy Meredith McGrath, The Daily Campus
Lacrosse team looking for fresh start

Lacrosse team looking for fresh start (Photo courtesy Meredith McGrath, The Daily Campus)

SMU’s lacrosse team began its 2005 season last Saturday in Lubbock against the Texas Tech Red Raiders. After trailing for most of the match, the team made a strong comeback in the second half, but came up short losing 13-12.

Despite the loss, team captain and president Tom Greene is still optimistic about the rest of their season.

“This year, we have some of the best talent that the program has seen since it’s founding in the late 70s,” he said.

The team has a roster of 32, and all except two played in high school; at least half of those teams were all-state. The team also boasts three All-American players.

New recruits include freshmen Michael Carrington, Chase Carlisle, and local Pete Natseway and sophomore Ryan Walsh, a Division I transfer from Denver University.

As far as goals for this season, Greene wants the team to become more structured in terms of agenda setting, as well as establish a stronger offense with more complicated plays. He also hopes to make it to the national playoffs, which will be held in Maine.

Before the 2002-2003 season began, the Mustangs were pre-season ranked last in their conference, the Lone Star Alliance, which includes twelve other collegiate club teams from Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma.

However, the team beat the odds by ranking in the top four along with Texas A&M, the University of Texas and Texas Tech.

“We didn’t live up to our full potential last season,” Greene said. “We experienced challenges with injuries and commitment troubles.”

This season, the team faces off against Oklahoma State, Kansas, Baylor, Texas, Eastern Michigan, Rice, the University of Texas at Dallas, Austin College, TCU and the University of North Texas. All games, except for two, will be played at the opposing school.

Playing at the club level offers a competitive yet relaxed environment. As Greene explained, “There’s no pressure like there is if you play for a Division I or even a Division III school. We play hard but we have a great time.” When asked what makes his team unique, Greene answered, “Definitely the diversity. Our players include members from nine out of the 10 IFC fraternities, and some who aren’t in a house. It’s a great way to meet new people and bond through a common interest.”

The team, which has a budget of roughly $3,000 from SMU, is also sponsored by local restaurant Kuby’s. It hopes to get more sponsors in the future to help cover expenses such as referee fees, travel costs and new equipment. With a budget increase, the team could allot some money on advertising and public relations in order to grab the attention of the press, alumni and students alike.

Lacrosse has experienced a nation-wide surge of interest within the past five years, especially among high-school students. Although the game originated on the east coast, Texas now has a lot of talent.

Players and fans alike are attracted to the sport because of its fast-paced nature. It combines elements from other popular sports such as football and soccer. It is highly intense and physical. The players must be in top physical condition and have good hand-eye coordination. Some say it takes a certain kind of sport instinct to be able to “see the field.”

The next game is scheduled for Feb. 11 against Oklahoma State in Stillwater, Okla. For more information on the SMU club lacrosse team, or other teams in the Lone Star Alliance, visit www.lonestaralliance.com.