Senate to fund Mock Trial

The SMU Student Senate approved two measures yesterday. One of the approved bills encourages SMU department heads to begin purchasing recycled-content paper through the campus paper suppliers.

The second bill approved will fund SMU Mock Trial with $4,049.86. The money will allow the Mock Trial Organization to purchase organizational supplies and compete in 2005 competitions. The funding bill for SMU Mock Trial was originally scheduled to be voted on at Student Senate’s next meeting, but the rules were suspended so a vote could be taken at yesterday’s meeting.

The Mock Trial Organization is currently moving into the first tier of sponsorship by the Student Senate.

A bill that was not approved yesterday was funding for the Asian-American Leadership Council’s keynote speaker at their annual leadership conference. The AALEC requested $5,250 to bring MTV VJ and news correspondent Su Chin Pak to their conference. The bill was tabled, however, after members of the AALEC were uncertain if the deposit was non-refundable. Until members can provide the Student Senate with more information on the deposit, no vote will be taken.

During the committee reports section of the meeting, the Student Issues Committee urged senators to begin thinking about Pound the Pavement.

Pound the Pavement is an annual review that the Student Issues Committee conducts of students’ feelings towards specific campus issues. The students’ attitudes are gauged through surveys. This year, the survey will be available to take online for the first time.

Each year, each student senator is responsible for having 10 students fill out a survey.

The Student Senate also got the ball rolling toward the 2005-2006 elections. Applications are out for the elections and are due on Feb. 11 at 5 p.m.

Next week, the Student Senate will vote on four new items of business. Two amendments to the student body constitution will be on the table, including one that would raise the GPA requirement for students wishing to run for Student Senate from 2.0 to 2.5. A bill to fund $4,600 to the Office of the Chaplain for the Civil Rights Pilgrimage will also be discussed. Finally, a resolution urging the establishment of a university-supported debate and forensics team will be debated.