ReddZone: The general manager picks the draft’s winners and losers

ReddZone
ReddZone

ReddZone

Believe it or not, ReddZone watched the draft between answering e-mails about my poor spelling in Friday’s edition. Here’s my list of draft weekend winners and losers.

Winners

New Orleans – Without a doubt, the city that needs all the help in the world right now gets the biggest superstar available in Reggie Bush. Also, he pulled off the pimp hat that ESPN had him wear in those odd promos (more on that to come).

Matt Leinert – Nice to see his deal with the devil is still intact. So he drops from No. 1 last year to this year’s No. 10. In exchange Leinert gets to play in Phoenix with two superstar receivers (Bolden, Fitzgerald) and a pro bowl running back (James) in a brand new stadium. Unreal.

DeAngelo Williams – Most people think that he would go from 10 to 20; instead he falls to 27 and gets to play on a Super Bowl contender that features a starter in DeShaun Foster who is constantly injured. I stand by my pick that he will be rookie of the year.

Also, let’s add in the absurd ESPN promos where guys were being introduced in spectacular outfits, and Williams was the big winner. Williams rolls out in mink and a pimp cane to go with a spectacular hat and winning smile. Someone give him some crunk juice, and we have got a one man party.

Patriots – The best receiver in the draft falls to them in the second round at 36. I’m not calling him TO, but his body and speed combination are rivaled at the receiver position only by TO. Add in Laurence Marony at the 21 pick to back up the lately injury-prone Dillon, and the Patriots hit another winner.   I also really like fourth round pick Garrett Mills of Tulsa who is the best pass-catching tight end in the draft.

Titans – I’m not a huge Vince Young fan (in terms of pro playing, he is the most clutch college quarterback in history, and it pains me to say that) but he’s worth the risk because of his huge talent. Where the Titans are really winning is getting LenDale White with a humongous chip on his shoulder in the middle of the second round. Absolutely amazing.

As always, I’m in favor of making athletes look as ridiculous as possible, and ESPN didn’t fail. I was feeling Young’s promo with the all-white suit with big buckle and a very pop-able collar.

The Superman logo on his back in red sequins may have overstepped some bounds, but he is not even close to some of my losers in the fashion department. 

Broncos – At one point I thought they were crazy for trading up to get Jay Cutler at No. 11 because it looked like Jacksonville would get to them at No. 15. But if Cutler is as good as everyone thinks he is (I am very skeptical myself after seeing him play three full games), that move is fine because they got Jevon Walker from Green Bay for a second-round pick, which is a steal.

Losers

Bills – So they reach for a safety at No. 8 in Donte Whitner who looked like he was going to go between 20 and 30. If you liked him, trade down and get him in the middle of the first. Extra draft picks are really useful when a team wants to trade up into the first round for a DE named Josh McCargo from North Carolina State who never had to face a double team in his life because two first-rounders (real ones, not shams like McCargo) were his defensive ends in Lawson and Williams. McCargo was supposed to be a late second, early third, and Buffalo gave away picks to get him late in the first. Someone better make to sure that Marv Levy isn’t really dead. I mean all the jokes were made when he was hired as GM, but really, someone go check to see if Marv’s breathing.

LenDale White and Jay Cutler – This actually has nothing to do with where they got picked. I’m talking about the ridiculous getups that ESPN’s wardrobe department put them in for the promos. Cutler at best could be called Urban Cowboy, at worst, lost member of the Village People: huge belt buckle, bad cowboy hat, (faux) dirty jeans and spectacular jacket.

Not to be outdone was White, who somehow was asked to pull off a ghetto biker look with black knee-high boots, fur vest, chains and leather pants. One of the funniest things I have ever, ever seen. He looked as comfortable as a middle-aged white male at a Snoop concert.

Mario Williams – I think the guy is going to be extremely good, but he will have to be because for the rest of his life he will be the guy that was selected ahead of Reggie Bush. Also the Mario flashing light belt buckle crossed the line.