‘Young Goethe in Love’ captures audiences

Angelika’s new period piece pleases romantic lovers and history buffs
Photo Courtesy of Music Box Films
Alexander Fehling and Miriam Stein in a scene from “Young Goethe in Love.”

Alexander Fehling and Miriam Stein in a scene from “Young Goethe in Love.” (Photo Courtesy of Music Box Films)

At first glance “Young Goethe in Love” comes across strong as a sappy romantic movie burdened with glossy overtones, cheesy subplots and cliché costuming.

However, don’t let first impressions fool you, “Young Goethe in Love” is a charming love story that takes its audience on an emotional roller-coaster despite its “been there done that” plot.

The movie opens with a scene placing Goethe, fantastically played by Alexander Fehling, in front of a group of superiors as he tries (and fails) to take his law exams.

German director, Phillip Stoelzl, wastes no time introducing the flighty Goethe to the audience.

With charm and grace, the title character fails his law exams and sends off his superiors with a spiteful message written in the courtyard’s snow.

Even though Goethe has absolutely no interest in the study of law, his father, who is someone high up in the legal world, lands his son a job working on cases under Albert Kestner, played by Moritz Bleibtreu.

The plot thickens when young Goethe meets Lotte Buff, a carefree woman who is just as sarcastic as the title character and can hold her own when talking to him.

Miriam Stein is perfect as the cute but crude Buff. Goethe and Buff become immediately attracted to each other and the rest of the 100-minute running time follows their quest to be together.

The young couple meets a relatively large roadblock in their relationship when they learn that Buff’s father has promised Lotte’s hand to Goethe’s boss, Kestner.

Needless to say, Goethe does not react to the news well at all.

For a German film, “Young Goethe in Love” is surprisingly light. The character’s performances are so believable that one forgets they are reading subtitles.

Throughout filming, Stoelzl must have had to walk a fine line to make this period piece come across as authentic. Far too many times films like “Young Goethe in Love” resemble that of a bad staged play (it must be the wigs).

However, “Young Goethe in Love” stays true to its story as the cast feels as if they have been plucked from 18th century Germany.

As a whole, “Young Goethe in Love” overcomes its clichés and delivers a compelling romantic drama far too rare in American theaters.

“Young Goethe in Love” is currently playing at Dallas’ Angelika theatre