‘Take Me Out’ hits it out of the park

Courtesy of Uptown Players
“Take Me Out” actors sport the Empires baseball team uniforms in one of the play’s beginning scenes. Actors from left to right, Tony Martin as Skipper, Andrews W. Cope as Shane Mungett, Kevin Moore as Kippy Sunderstorm and Lloyd Harvery as Darren Lemming.

“Take Me Out” actors sport the Empires baseball team uniforms in one of the play’s beginning scenes. Actors from left to right, Tony Martin as Skipper, Andrews W. Cope as Shane Mungett, Kevin Moore as Kippy Sunderstorm and Lloyd Harvery as Darren Lemming. (Courtesy of Uptown Players)

The baseball themed play, “Take Me Out,” delves into much more than just fly balls and home runs.

Produced by Uptown Players and directed by Michael Serrecchia, “Take Me Out” evokes nearly every emotion from its audience from beginning to end.

“Take Me Out” has the ability to transition its viewers from laughter to grim sentiments revolving around the main character, Darren Lemming.

Lemming, played by Lloyd Harvey, augments the emotion in the play when this supernatural baseball player publicly announces that he is gay.

Darren’s fictitious team, The Empires, comprised of all ethnicities from Latino to Japanese, struggles with Darren’s sexual orientation and the diversity among the team.

Both the nude scenes and crude language in “Take Me Out” heighten both the dramatic and humorous aspects of the play.

As the Empire ball players realize that they aren’t as relaxed in the nude as before, these uncomfortable locker room scenes are sure to amuse anyone with an R-rated eye.

The narrator of “Take Me Out,” Kippy Sunderstorm, played by Kevin Moore, acts as the central father figure trying to keep peace among the diverted team.

Not an easy task, especially with lengthy and chatty monologues, Moore does a commendable job with the role.

However, the most provocative and applauded role of the team is pitcher Shane Mungett.

His “white-trash” rooted role, played by Andrews W. Cope, underlies the racial stereotypes the team has to deal with.

The lack of censorship Mungett uses in the rare instances he does speak, creates relentless tension for the team.

Moore vividly executes how his dark character creates an unfortunate fate for himself.

Although Darren Lemming is the most pertinent and divisive character in the play, the strength of actor Lloyd Harvey unfortunately does not match those of Moore or Cope.

Lemming fulfilled the role, but it seems as if the other actors outperform Harvey in confidence and passion.

On a positive note, the realistic locker room setting aids its actors as the plot unfolds controversial and humorous moments.

Uptown Players welcomes “Take Me Out” to start off its 11th season. Running at approximately two hours, the Kalita Humphrey’s Theater’s production is bursting with entertainment.