What I would do

As an outgoing senior (wow, those words really make me cringe), I thought it might be nice to share some advice with younger students from someone who is about to complete four years at SMU. After talking to some of my fellow seniors, I’ve discovered that a lot of us have similar things we wish we would have done and some things we’re glad we did. So I’m here to tell you all the things I wish someone would have told me.

Take advantage of on-campus opportunities. SMU is handing out great things all the time. I can’t tell you how many times I would find out that there was going to be an amazing person coming to a Tate Lecture Series, and I told myself I would go, but ended up getting busy or having another commitment. I wish I had gone. This goes for sporting events too. So what if we aren’t the most amazing football or basketball team in the nation? It’s still fun to get out there with your friends and enjoy the games.

Study abroad. I know there are a lot of you out there who have or will take advantage of this opportunity, but unfortunately, I didn’t. I wish I would have made it work because I haven’t heard one horror story from anyone I talked to who decided to study in Europe-they all say it was one of the best things they’ve ever done. Now that I am graduating and starting a real job, I don’t know when I will find the time to go overseas and explore new places on my own.

Stay close to campus. For those of you still in search of an apartment, I can offer a little advice. Three of the years I’ve been in Dallas, I’ve lived on campus, but sophomore year I decided it would be fun to live in uptown, for some reason. I really regret living so far from SMU. The commute was such an inconvenience, and it’s even worse if your classes aren’t back-to-back.

Don’t procrastinate. Try to do a little every day or just get things done so you can have more fun and enjoy extra time doing things you actually want to do.

Don’t stress out. Unfortunately, this applies mostly to my senior year, which is supposed to be the most laid-back. I spent most of the time worrying about getting a job that sometimes I forgot to enjoy myself. Everything will work out. You’re not going to graduate and become homeless.

Talk to your professors. Ok, I know this sounds like something your parents might say, but it will honestly help you. Not only will you get to know some really smart people, but it’ll show them that you care and that you’re not just there to get an A, but actually there to learn.

Get involved. Find your niche on campus. You might want to play intramurals, or you might want to be on Student Senate, but make sure you do something before you graduate. Leave a little bit of a legacy. Don’t let them forget your name too soon.

Go out. Seriously, it’s what college is all about. Well, mostly anyway. Make the most of your nights because before you know it, instead of going out on Thursday nights, you’ll be tucked in sleeping so you can function at work the next day.

Don’t be afraid of W. No, I’m not talking about the president. I’m talking about that “W” that stands for “withdraw.” I’ll admit it-I’ve got two. Don’t think that it’ll taint your precious record because it won’t. But a lower grade in a class can bring down your average, and that takes a lot to fix.

So, there you have it. Hopefully some of you out there will find this advice useful. But most of all, always remember to just enjoy the time you have here. They say that college is the best years of your life, so don’t take it for granted. And trust me, it’ll be over before you know it.

Ashley Jorgenson is the outgoing opinion editor. She is a senior journalism major. She can be reached at [email protected]