Consistent in intellectual inconsistencies

In reading Kevin Lavelle’s “Intellectual Inconsistencies,” it’s quite obvious Mr. Lavelle needs to make a note to self: “When I point out others’ intellectual inconsistencies, I better make sure mine are consistent.”

I was surprised after reading Lavelle’s opinion editorials that his major is management science. I figured with that type of a major, he would be extra cautious in making his theories solid and leak-proof. His theories on “intellectual inconsistencies” seem more fractured than the New Orleans levees. And here’s why: Let’s fast forward to his 2004 claim about San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom. Lavelle stated that Mayor Newsom was defying the law by issuing marriage licenses to “tax-paying” individuals whose rights have been ignored. I am hoping that Mr. Lavelle has read the Constitution and is aware of the Bill of Rights. The Constitution and the Bill of Rights are the basis for all individuals to have equal rights. Equality was what the forefathers intended.

I will commend Mr. Lavelle on bringing out a good point about those that defy local, state and federal law; however, one man that comes to my mind is not Mayor Newsom- how about Tom DeLay? You know those wasted tax dollars Lavelle talked about funding sex changes in San Francisco. Well, it looks like Texas is the state wasting citizens’ tax dollars. Taxpayers are funding the expensive court time devoted to handling DeLay’s charges of corruption.

When Lavelle mentioned that illegal immigrants don’t pay taxes, is he not aware that when they rent an apartment or lease a house, they are paying property taxes? Is he not aware that the majority of Wal-Mart purchases are from Latinos?

Hmmm. . I hear state taxes going “cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching!” In regard to the abuse of welfare, medical care and other benefits by illegal immigrants, is Lavelle not aware of the corporate corruption in America — again, in the form of citizens’ tax dollars paying court fees and related costs?

Enron sunk the life savings of thousands of people, forcing many to seek government assistance. And these weren’t illegal immigrants seeking government help.

Jack Abramoff, the poster boy for — Republican, eh hem, — corruption, paid politicians for legislation and committed 100,000 times the violation of law that Lavelle suggests Mayor Newsom is guilty of.

You see, Mr. Lavelle, you selectively raise “when the rule of law applies,” but doesn’t it also apply to the disclosure of CIA operative Valerie Plame? Shouldn’t it apply to all the documents that have been released in regard to our government knowing there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? Shouldn’t it apply to the warrantless wiretapping the president authorized?

I do appreciate Mr. Lavelle’s “intellectual inconsistencies” columns because they have highlighted his own consistent intellectual inconsistencies. In a recent opinion piece (March 30), Mr. Lavelle shared that he was “a Christian, and Christianity teaches tolerance and love for all,” adding, “except Michael Moore — just kidding, sort of.”

Huge intellectual inconsistency, Mr. Lavelle, not to mention spiritual inconsistency. I have four letters for you: WWJD.

After reading your columns, I asked Jesus what would he do, and he brought to my memory the woman who was going to be stoned for adultery. Jesus said, “He who is without sin throw the first stone.”

I’d hate to see anyone get stoned with their own “intellectual inconsistencies.”

Sandi Herrera is a junior journalism major. She can be reached at [email protected].