Lightman’s ‘Little Things’ makes a big contribution to the music scene

Today’s music scene craves originality and singer/songwriter Toby Lightman’s debut album “Little Things” satisfies that craving. Her creative culmination of soulful rock and R&B sets her apart from the music’s predictable mainstream, and the combination of her expressive vocals and contagious beats give “Little Things” a distinctive appeal.

As proves true with most authentic talents, Lightman’s passion for music was ignited early. She played the violin beginning at age 6, and her commitment to music continued as she fell into singing in high school. Although Lightman says she found her singing voice by accident, the discovery was not taken lightly. After taking time off from college, Lightman moved to New York and supported herself as a bartender before making her big break into the music scene. She was discovered by a manager who set her up with producer Peter Zizzo (who has worked with other notable female artists such as Avril Lavigne and Vanessa Carlton), who then got her a deal with Lava Records.

Her career progressed as her talent gained attention on Billboard’s charts, as well as MTV where she was featured on the station’s segment “You Hear It First.” The earthy and soulful sound that characterizes Lightman’s music encourages comparisons to artists such as Alicia Keys, Lauryn Hill and Joss Stone. However, the comparisons don’t do Lightman justice. Her greatest appeal comes from her originality, and so despite the fact her music bears resemblance to such established artists as Sheryl Crow and Mary J. Blige, it is still very much her own.

Lightman’s biggest asset is her ability to comfortably combine the distinct genres of soul, folk, R&B and pop, and she does it so wonderfully on her album “Little Things.” The appeal of her relatable lyrics paired with infectious rhythm is most highlighted in the album’s single “Devils and Angels.” The song carries a slightly Middle Eastern sound that perfectly complements the lyrics that are empowered by Lightman’s strong vocals.

“Little things” changes to a slower pace with its ballad “Frightened” in which Lightman goes back to her classical roots and incorporates the accompaniment of an orchestra. The tracks “Voices” and “Is This Right” also feature slower tempos. But the album’s allure is best highlighted in tracks like “The River” and “Front Row,” which feature enticing hooks supported by hypnotic beats. The album is united but not by any means repetitive. Every song offers something to appreciate, giving the album the power to win over its audience.

Lightman is currently on tour with James Blunt and will be performing at Nokia Live in Grand Prairie on May 10.