Indy Info

News Briefs from Texas Motor Speedway

Gossage content with TMS being No. 2

Texas Motor Speedway President and General Manager Eddie Gossage is content with the Bombardier Learjet 500 taken second billing to the Indianapolis 500 in the Indy Racing League schedule.

“Indy has got an 80 year head start on us,” Gossage said.

He added that TMS has come along way in its 10 year history, but “we don’t have any misconceptions about our place here-The Indy 500 transcends anything else is this sport,” he said.

Gossage called the Indy 500 a “special event,” on par with the Superbowl and the Daytona 500, but added that IndyCars racing under the lights was also a sight to be seen.

“Every time the IndyCars take the track, something special happens.”

Dempsey to give command to start

Television’s Patrick Dempsey will give the command to start engines for tonight’s Bombardier Learjet 500 at Texas Motor Speedway.

Dempsey is best known for portraying the character Dr. Derek Shepherd on the television show “Grey’s Anatomy.” In addition to his work as an actor, Dempsey is a part-owner of the Vision Racing team.

Vision Racing fields cars for Tomas Scheckter and Ed Carpenter, both of which are sponsored by clothing company Rock & Republic.

“The speed intensifies immensely [under the lights],” Dempsey said. “This is one of the greatest races of the season outside of the Indy 500.”

Dempsey, a native of Maine, credits his father Ricky Craven, who also hails from Maine, for

getting him interested in racing.

Hornish takes IndyCar pole

Reigning Indy 500 winner Sam Hornish, Jr. took the pole for the Indy Racing League’s Bombardier Learjet 500 at Texas Motor Speedway Thursday night. Hornish’s No. 6 Marlboro Team Penske Honda-powered Dallara posted a lap of 24.5197 seconds, 213.624 mph on the 1.5-mile, high banked oval.

Skinner sets new record for consecutive truck poles

Mike Skinner, driver of the No. 5 Toyota Tundra, set a NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series record for consecutive poles at the same track when he took his fourth straight pole at Texas Motor Speedway.

This is Skinner’s 26th career pole in the truck series. Skinner was previously tied with Ron Fellows with three consecutive poles at the Watkins Glen road course. Skinner is now only one pole award away from tying Jack Sprague’s 27 career poles in the truck series. Sprague qualified 19th and is the defending race winner of the Sam’s Town 400.

Mustang alum makes field at home track

SMU Alumnus Robert Richardson qualified 32nd for the race. Richardson is in his first full season of NCTS competition, but he is no stranger to Texas Motor Speedway. His racing career started with driving lessons at TMS and later taking the checkered flag in a ROMCO Super Late Model Series race.

“I feel more comfortable here than at any other track in the country,” Richardson said.

Richardson, who sits 34th in owner points, was not guaranteed a spot in the race, and has failed to qualify for two of this season’s races. Making the 36-car field was imperative for Richardson, especially because his sponsor, Benchmark Mortgage is based in the Dallas area.

Benchmark bought a luxury suite for the race, and Richardson said he was relieved to be able to make the field for Friday’s race.