Mavericks Mania

Ed Board tips our cap to Cuban, Dirk and the Mavs

It’s a special time to be a Dallas sports fan.

In a city that is synonymous with the blue star of the Cowboys, another team has become the area’s darling.

Twenty- six years since their inception, the Mavericks finally captured a Western Conference title — defeating the Phoenix Suns on the road to win the series 4-2.

To say the Mavericks deserve this is an understatement.

Ask any of the few, and we emphasize few, fans of the team during the 1990s how traumatizing it was to watch their games. The Mavs had the lowest winning percentage during the decade and were the laughingstock of the city and the NBA.

Maybe because of that futility, the team has seemed to capture a unique place in the hearts of area fans. That’s why this success is so special.

Their renaissance began with the purchase of the team by Mark Cuban in 2000. He is provocative, but he cared about the Mavericks when not many did and he kick-started the renewal of the team.

The renewal culminated during this year’s playoffs with a stomping of Memphis and a gut-check seven-game series win against rival San Antonio. The series not only proved that the NBA’s best basketball is in the Lone Star State, but was the announcement to the rest of the league that the Mavericks were serious contenders.

The play of Dirk Nowitzki is plenty to cheer about also. The German has not only brought his ‘A’ game to each series but has also given new life to David Hasselhoff’s pop music. If those two feats aren’t MVP-worthy, then we don’t know what is.

Dallasites are justifiably excited — nearly 5,000 showed up to greet the team at Dallas Love Field after winning the West — but fans and the team alike know that the job is not done.

The Mavericks are only four games away from an NBA title.

Only the Miami Heat, also making its NBA Finals debut, stand in Dallas’ way.

But Ed Board is feeling optimistic that in a few weeks we will be attending the first Mavericks victory parade in downtown.

We hope to see you there.