Senate discusses new legislation

Senate introduced two pieces of legislation during Tuesday’s meeting.

The first piece, authored by Student Body President Jake Torres and Lyle Senator Joe Gaasbeck, seeks to get two reading days added to the academic calendar during the spring semester.

There are no reading days scheduled currently.

“I think we’re disenfranchising students, especially those that are on the bubble and really, really need a good finals grade,” Torres said.

Torres is the student representative on the academic calendar committee. He said he plans to discuss adding reading days, although he doesn’t know how “liquid” this year’s calendar is.

Chief of Staff Alex Mace asked Torres during the meeting if he could add more facts, such as other schools’ number of reading days, to his legislation to “solidify the argument.”

But, he said, “It’s something that I don’t think we’re going to have any trouble getting student voice behind.”

Torres also introduced legislation addressing undergraduate recruitment. He wants students to be allowed to accompany recruiters to Dallas ISD schools in an attempt to foster a connection with the Dallas community.

Torres said he’s talked to the recruitment office and that they are on board with this idea.

He believes that getting more DISD students exposed to SMU students will help the recruitment process.

“Every college-age student in DISD should at least apply here,” he said.