Football team gets media savvy

While two-a-days are in full swing for the football team, players and coaches took a timeout to learn about public relations and how to best represent themselves to the media and in public.

Sue Castorino and Randy Minkoff, a husband and wife duo who previously worked in the professional media, travel to various professional and collegiate athletic teams to help players and coaches learn the ins and outs of being interviewed.

In addition to learning interview skills, the group discussed the use of Internet profile Web sites, such as MySpace.com and Facebook.com, and how to avoid trouble on the Internet. The duo’s main theme was “you’re always on the record,” and they stressed the importance of representing the university and team respectably.

The session wasn’t all business though. Various football players did mock interviews in front of the team, and wide receiver Columbus Givens got a few laughs from his teammates when he said the most recent movie he has seen was the romantic comedy “Waiting to Exhale.” Players also enjoyed another mock post-game interview scenario when Bobby Chase, Justin Willis and Joe Sturdivant fielded questions from their teammates who pretended to be reporters from various local media outlets. DeMyron Martin represented The Daily Campus while grilling Justin Willis on his performance in the game and journalism major and tight end Chris Phillips pretended to be local sports writer Calvin Watkins.

Head coach Phil Bennett said this was the first year the team has done a media training session, but it was not in response to any specific incidents with the team. Bennett added it is one of the many programs he and his coaching staff do for the team. He said the coaches’ responsibility goes beyond the football field, and players’ parents expect them to do more to help prepare the players for life.

Various coaches from the football and team, as well as other SMU coaches talk to the players about life skills and serve as role models for the athletes.

Bennett said it’s an approach that many college programs take, but he feels the SMU program does it more.

The program was suggested by Assistant Athletic Director for Media Relations Brad Sutton, who said the training will help the team relate to both its fans as well as the media.

Quarterback Justin Willis said he has some experience in media training from his high school team, but added in his new role at SMU will require him to be even more media savvy.

“If I stay positive with the media and my teammates, everything will speak for itself,” Willis said.