Soccer exhibits new talent for ’06

The SMU Men’s soccer team kicks off their preseason with an exhibition game against Oral Roberts on Saturday night. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. at Richland College here in Dallas. The game is the first opportunity for the public to see the Mustangs in action since their appearance in the 2005 NCAA College Cup.

Last year’s semifinal loss to top-seeded Maryland was SMU’s best performance in NCAA play. En route to the semifinals, the Mustangs beat teams such as UCLA and the University of North Carolina. In the 2006 season, the SMU men are expected to win Conference USA and perform well in NCAA play. The team is optimistic about its eight incoming players, five of whom are from the state of Texas.

The Lady Mustangs will also preview this year’s team with an exhibition game against Steven F. Austin University. The game is scheduled for Friday at 6 p.m., but a location in Dallas has not yet been named.

The four newest additions to the women’s team, Alissa Ireland, Jennifer Raad, Kylie Kelldorf and Kim Peabody, will have the chance to experience their first game at the college level.

The women also appeared in their 2005 NCAA tournament, but were not as successful as their male counterparts. The women beat the University of North Texas in the first round of play, but fell to Texas A&M 4-2 in the second.

In 2006 season, the SMU women’s team looks to take its seventh consecutive conference title and make its sixth NCAA tournament appearance.