Volunteer: It’s more than a requirement

Volunteer
Volunteer

Volunteer

It’s the third week of August, and around campus, curbs are lined with U-hauls while Barnes and Noble does its best to process mobs of students waiting to purchase textbooks so valuable they could collateralize a loan. Predictably, the scene is similar to last year’s first week of school. Do not be deceived by the appearance of status quo however. I’ve tested the waters and, to my delight, have discovered that with the influence of the class of 2010, the student body is even more ambitious than previously realized. The attitude around campus is-electric. This newfound energy is up for grabs, and I propose we apply it towards our community.

I’ll be the first to applaud your accomplishments SMU, but for some, community service is simply a quota mandated by their respective campus organization. The slightest scratch of the surface reveals so much more though. It is important to recognize community as a flexible term that can be defined to include any number of factions, so few rules restrict the possibilities of its servicing. All of your benevolent actions improve someone to some degree. In short, if you’re eager to get started, few barriers exist to prevent you from doing so. The service half of the term is almost a misnomer, for it congers thoughts of subordination and sacrifice. It is more accurate to perceive it as community opportunity, and let me explain why.

Since I might be the most vocal promoter of Habitat for Humanity in the D/FW area, maybe ever, let us imagine one day on the construction site of a home. I’m not sure why waking with the sun, slugging down a couple quarts of 7 Eleven coffee, and building things for hours gets my blood pumping, but it does. With Habitat, you have the opportunity to improve the lives of many people. It’s difficult to refuse such a chance, isn’t it? I can confidently say that few sensations rival the one you get when a displaced family moves into a home that you helped build. Second, a construction site is the perfect environment for establishing and reinforcing relationships. It’s inspiring to observe a group of independent people align their efforts to accomplish one common goal. It is no small wonder that many corporations encourage their employees to spend several days a year working together on community service projects. Evidence shows that streamlined teamwork and creative thinking acquired through volunteer work translate back to the workplace and ultimately to the bottom line. Need another reason because you’re a full time student who doesn’t work? Talk about a networking opportunity that beats those awkward luncheons. Enough said. Additionally, call me crazy, but I’ll be darned if I don’t learn a new skill or craft every single time I volunteer. Thanks to Habitat and other volunteer organizations, I now proudly boast the knowledge necessary to roof a house, conduct a food drive, and even herd wild geese. Oh the things you’ll do. Whether such opportunities compare to say-lost sleep on a Saturday morning, is up to you. I just hope it’s now easier to understand why both parties benefit from community service.

The most frictionless transitions to community service are accomplished by incorporating an activity you enjoy. For example, I enjoy running, and winning for that matter. In keeping with this, I am officially forming the 5-K Killers, a team of ruthless weekend warriors that will compete in at least one charity foot race per month. Presently, I have my sights set on the Daylight to Darkness 5 mile run that will take place at 7 p.m. this Wednesday, August 23 at White Rock Lake. You see, it’s that easy. I’m not bluffing, so if you’re a runner with competitive tendencies, contact me and we’ll light this fire.

If you’re interested in the community service experience, but aren’t one for logistics, you’re in luck. The Office of Leadership and Community Involvement (LCI) and Students Promoting Awareness, Responsibility, and Citizenship (SPARC), are both located on the third floor of the Hughes-Trigg student center. These resources will provide enough opportunities to keep even the most eager volunteer busy for months on end. Thanks to these organizations, volunteering for a service opportunity that meets your requirements is effortless. Pay them a visit.

The SMU populace is already striding in the right direction, and a stroll through our campus confirms this. Every time a person picks up a stray piece of litter, helps a student move into their residence hall, or reports a traffic accident, our university becomes a cleaner, friendlier, and safer place to learn. Don’t underestimate the influence of your own actions. SMU is so conducive to academic excellence and achievement largely because of the examples we set. This goes to show that in order to leave a marked impact, one doesn’t need to join the peace corps or commit to an alternative spring break. Simply adopt a state of mind that favors continuous improvement, and you may be surprised how it affects other aspects of your life. These subtle changes are convenient, rewarding, and most importantly, sustainable. I challenge us all to leave our community bit better than we found it, and give back even more this year.

Important Contacts:

̢ۢ Office of Leadership and Community Involvement (LCI): (214) 768-4403

̢ۢ Student Promoting Awareness, Responsibility, and Citizenship (SPARC): (214) 768-4386

̢ۢ Whitney Harding- SMU Habitat for Humanity President: (832) 757-8123