Summer movie superlatives: awarding this summer’s stellar line-up of films

Best Rom-com: “Crazy stupid love”

Starring Steve Carrell and Julianne Moore, “Crazy Stupid Love” takes the title for best romantic comedy by a landslide. Separating itself from other summer flops, like “Something Borrowed” and “Friends with Benefits,” “Crazy Stupid Love” carries a compelling storyline along nicely with the help of subplots and one shocker of a twist.

After learning that his wife has slept with a co-worker, Steve Carell’s Cal transforms himself inside and out with the help of ladies man, Jacob, played smoothly by Ryan Gosling. In a story-line ripped from the pages of 2005’s “Hitch,” Cal changes everything from his wardrobe to his wallet.

What makes “Crazy Stupid Love” so charming is the movie’s ability to separate itself from the normal cliches strewn across almost every other romantic comedy in theaters. Sure, there is a kiss in the rain, but with the help of directors, Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, it all seems fresh.

Chalked full of supporting actors like Emma Stone, Kevin Bacon, and Marissa Tomei, there is definitely not a lack of acting prowess in the film. With such refined performance, it’s very hard to find a dull scene in its 118 minute run-time.

Easily one of the best rom-coms in the past decade, “Crazy Stupid Love” is great from start to finish.

Best Comedy: “Bridesmaids”

This writer’s opinion for best movie of the summer, “Bridesmaids” may very well be the best female-driven comedy of all time.

Starring Kristen Wiig as the down-on-her-luck maid of honor, Annie, “Bridesmaids,” utilizes Wiig’s comedic timing to deliver jokes that would even make George Carlin laugh.

When her best friend, Lilllian, played perfectly by Maya

Rudolph, decides to have a lavish wedding, Annie’s life take a turn for the worst.

With a supporting cast that steals the show, “Bridesmaids,” is responsible for the astronomical rise of Melissa McCarthy. McCarthy’s character, Megan is a foul-mouthed, government worker who provides much of the films rib breaking moments. Essentially, “Bridesmaids” is “The Hangover” in a pretty dress.

While the original screenplay., written by Annie Mumolo, varies vastly from the final, filmed, product, Mumolo still deserves credit for crafting such compelling characters.

Directed by Paul Fieg, the same man who brought us “Knocked Up,” Fieg’s knack for telling comedic stories peaks with “Bridesmaids.”

Even though “Bridesmaids” had formidable competition this summer, it comes out of August as comedy’s champ.

Best Action Movie: X-men: First Class

With releases like “Thor,” “Captain America” and “Transformers,” the race for the summer’s best action movie was a crowded one. However, corssing the finish line first was none other than “X-Men: First Class.”

As a prequel, “First Class” does a solid job of explaining some of X-Men’s most prolific story lines. Explaining the relationships between characters like Magneto and Dr. Xavier as well as Mystique and the Beast, any devoted

“X-men” fans got their money’s worth.

Starring a relatively popular cast, “X-Men: First Class” features actors like Rose Bryne, Jennifer Lawrence, and James McAvoy.

Set during the backdrop of the world’s Cold War, “First Class” is almost as much of a false history lesson as it is a daring action movie.

While “Thor” and “Captain America” may have captured the media’s attention, “X-men: First Class” captures the title as the summer’s best action movie.

Best Indie Film: “Midnight in Paris”

This summer’s best independent film takes viewers on an adventure back in time to the highly romanticized city of Paris. Star Owen Wilson plays a nostalgic scriptwriter who yearns to travel back to Paris in the 1920’s. His dreams come true when he stumbles upon a time-traveling vehicle only to meet artists like Ernest Hemingway and Pablo Picasso. A wonderful love story, “Midnight in Paris” encompasses the beauty of art and life and wraps it up into one charming summer flick.

Best Summer Surprise: “Horrible Bosses”

A hilarious tale of three best friends attempting to rid themselves of their life-ruining bosses, “Horrible Bosses” took this critic by surprise. To learn how to best exterminate their bosses for good, they consult with an ex-con (played by Jamie Foxx), have a few too many drinks and embark on their mission, running into a few rookie mistakes on the way. Even though it had strong competition with last summer’s “The Hangover,” “Horrible Bosses” still charmed audiences with its raunchy comedy and clever story line.

For once, Jennifer Aniston, actually comes across as funny in her role as the sexually harassing dentist, Dr. Julia Harris.

No one expected “Horrible Bosses” to be as hilarious as it was, but with a solid cast and genius writing, the movie is a welcome surprise.

Best Alien Invasion: Super 8

Did anyone really doubt that a movie with Stephen Spielberg and J.J Abrams would be bad? Didn’t think so.

“Super 8” follows a 1970’s town after a government issued train is destroyed by a secret-wilding scientist.

With scene-stealing performance by Elle Fanning, “Super 8,” is the perfect film for adults looking for a nostalgic return to their childhoods.

Credit should be given to the special-effects team of “Super 8’s.” The scene in which the train crashes looked genuinely real. Look for a little recognition when the Oscar’s come around, if “Super 8” is lucky, it may get a nod for effects and sound-editing.

Comparable to Spielberg’s earlier film, “E.T.” “Super 8” is definently out of this world.