Women defeated in WAC tourney

Team falls to Fresno State, 71-53

By Trent Redden

Staff Writer

[email protected]

The women’s basketball team (19-10, 10-8 WAC) had their worst performance of the season in what likely will be their final game, a 71-53 loss at the hands of the Fresno State Bulldogs (20-9, 10-8 WAC).

SMU turned the ball over 19 times, shot 30 percent from the field and was out-rebounded by seven in the team’s first game of this year’s WAC Tournament in Reno, Nev.

“I didn’t recognize that team out there today,” said head coach Rhonda Rompola.

The Mustangs had no answer to the Bulldogs’ combination of Chantella Perera and Mirenda Swearengin.

A native of Houston, Swearengin was spectacular, shooting 7-of-13 from the field for 19 points. She also dished out six assists against only two turnovers and made a pair of spectacular no-look passes.

Perera had 14 points and 18 rebounds in just 23 minutes of action due to foul trouble.

SMU was paced by freshman Katy Cobb, who showed heart despite a poor shooting performance. Cobb had 17 points on 6-of-17 shooting.

“Katy Cobb was our only aggressive player tonight,” said Rompola.

Junior post Sarah Davis also played well in limited minutes as she knocked down a pair of three-pointers on her way to eight points.

The Mustangs finished the season 19-10, and will probably be on the outside looking in at the postseason.

“This is the seventh-rated RPI conference in the nation, and we deserved two NCAA tournament teams,” said Rompola.

“The [Women’s National Invitation Tournament] will be dictated by those selections, and we’ll get some looks,” she said, “but we didn’t help ourselves today.”

Post-season invitations for the WNIT will be announced Saturday afternoon following the NCAA’s team selections.

If Wednesday’s loss was SMU’s final appearance of the year, it will be a disappointing end to an high-achieving season. With eight of nine players returning next season, including all five starters, the future isn’t looking so bad for the Lady Mustangs.