Blocker chosen as next provost

Blocker chosen as next provost
Blocker chosen as next provost

Blocker chosen as next provost

In a statement released by the SMU office of public affairs, President Turner named Robert Blocker, current Dean of the Yale School of Music and the fourth provost candidate to visit SMU, as the new provost. Blocker will assume current Provost Ross Murfin’s role July 15.

In a separate statement, Turner explained his decision.

“He brings outstanding experience as an academic leader who has addressed a wide range of education issues, has reached out to the community in new ways, and has achieved a strong record of attracting external support for academic initiatives,” he said.

Upon hearing the news, Blocker expressed his eagerness to work at SMU, according to an interview with public affairs.

“The opportunity to serve this distinguished university in one of our nation’s greatest cities is one that I eagerly anticipate,” Blocker said. “Working with an excellent faculty and devoted staff, I am confident that we will advance SMU’s teaching and research mission.”

As provost, Blocker’s responsibilities will include overseeing the university’s seven degree-granting schools, supervising the university’s libraries, the Office of Enrollment Services, International Programs, Research Administration, Center for Media and Instructional Technology, Altshuler Learning Center, SMU Press and SMU-in-Taos. In addition, Blocker will hold rank as a professor of music in the Meadows School of the Arts and adjunct professor of management in the Cox School of Business.

At Yale, Blocker’s community outreach included working as a member of the New Haven Arts and Business Alliance and forming a coalition with the New Haven Public Schools.

Before serving at Yale, Blocker presided as dean at UCLA where he helped establish the Department of World Arts and Cultures.

Blocker earned his B.A. degree form Furman University and both Masters of Music and Doctor of Musical Arts degrees from the University of North Texas. He was a fellow at the Institute for Educational Management at Harvard University. He also holds three honorary degrees.

Turner extended his appreciation to the Provost Search Committee led by Dean Hal Williams “for a timely and efficient process that brought us strong candidates.”

Williams and a committee of 16 faculty, staff, students and trustees worked in conjunction to narrow their nation-wide provost search to four candidates, all of whom visited the university consecutively earlier this spring. Members of the search committee were involved in the process from the beginning to the very end. During the visits, members accompanied candidates while they toured the campus, met with administrators and even during meals.

During Blocker’s visit, he shared his definition of what makes a great university great.

“I find it disconcerting when institutions try to define themselves in the eyes of others. Those that distinguish themselves do not compete, but find who they are and what they do best,” he said. “There is one Tale and there doesn’t need to be another one.”

He then listed three areas in need of improvement to make SMU a better institution: GEC requirements, honors courses and the libraries.

After the candidates’ visits, the committee extensively reviewed each candidate, in a final meeting, before submitting its recommendation to Turner on Feb. 23.

Williams could not be reached for comment to reveal whom the committee recommended to Turner. But, in an interview with public affairs, he expressed his excitement and approval for Turner’s decision.

“I am delighted that Robert Blocker has agreed to become our Provost. We on the search committee canvassed the entire nation, researching hundreds of candidates, and found again and again that Dean Blocker is one of the most respected and experienced academic leaders in the profession,” Williams said. “He brings a wealth of leadership experience in higher education and a desire to help move SMU ever higher in the ranks of distinguished universities.”

Search committee member and Student Body President Chip Hiemenz was sure Turner made the best decision when choosing Blocker.

“Dean Blocker has an outstanding character, personality and academic background,” he said. “And judging from his prior experience, he will be a phenomenal fit here.”

Murphin, who has served as provost since 1996, will return to full-time teaching and research precluding this academic year. He will be honored for his “outstanding service” later this spring, Turner said.