Women Inspire Women to Stay Fit

Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin starred on the recently cancelled NBC show “30 Rock.”
Courtesy of fanart.tv

(Courtesy of Flicker)

Hundreds of Dallas area women attended The Women’s Health and Fitness Expo aimed at helping them stay healthy

Today it is rare to turn on the television and not watch a commercial that features a fad diet promising to improve one’s overall wellness. America’s obsession with dropping those last few pounds and improving health is particularly aimed at women.

Hundreds of women from the Dallas area gathered on Sept. 15 to attend the free Women’s Health and Fitness Expo at the Crowne Plaza-Dallas Market Center, where they found health screenings, fitness workshops, educational seminars and health and fitness vendors aimed at inspiring them to stay healthy and fit.

“The health and fitness expo was created with the intent of allowing women to come and get information about various diseases and healthy ways of losing weight,” said coordinator Carlis Lollie.

“I would like for women to come and learn something new and take something with them from this event that they didn’t know when they arrived. I want women to be able to search through the various health and wellness products that are available.”

Attendees were not the only ones that benefited from the expo as a variety of vendors were able to showcase their products to visitors. They handed out information about chiropractic wellness, cancer research, skin and nail health, super foods, weight loss, dental care and pharmacology. These were just some of the many opportunities visitors could take advantage of.

Kelli Henthron from Zija Beauty came to the Women’s Health and Fitness Expo in order to boost her sales and increase public knowledge about her liquid nutritional products.

“I came to the show because I’m looking for people to tell about my product,” said Henthron.

Students from Concord College in Arlington attended an expo seminar to advance their skills and lend a helping hand. Registered nurse and clinical instructor, Janis Livsey, brought her students to check attendees’ vital signs and assist with setting up the seminars.

“I think this is very beneficial, especially for women. There are so many different ethnic groups here,” said Livsey. “I think this is very good and shows that the message reached all over the Dallas area. I also think it was very well organized and I enjoyed working with the women who presented it.”

Garland resident Kaisha Littleton said that the expo “was a very informative experience” and plans to attend next year. Littleton, equipped with goodie bags and sweat on her brow, enjoyed everything from the spine screening to dancing.

“Zumba was by far my favorite part. It was free and a good way to get in a workout without feeling like I was working out,” she said.

For those who missed the Women’s Health and Fitness Expo, they should not worry, as it will be making its way to Dallas next year.

“We plan to host another Dallas expo in January,” said Lollie.

For more information about the Women’s Health and Fitness Expo, contact Carlis Lollie at [email protected].

https://smudailycampus.com/news/metropolitan