Dream Week commemorates Martin Luther King Jr.

SMU will celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. with its annual Dream Week, which is sponsored by SMU’s Office of Student Activities & Multicultural Affairs.

SMU kicked off Martin Luther King Jr. Day with a service day Monday at the SMU service house.

Volunteers were able to visit Children’s Hospital, Genesis Women’s Shelter or Dallas LIFE Foundation.

Junior Vanessa Uzoh volunteered for her third time. This year she picked up trash around White Rock Lake.

“The most rewarding part about it was being able to get up early in the morning, despite being exhausted, to give back to the community by cleaning up the park,” she said.

Monday gave SMU students the opportunity to use their holiday from classes to help make a difference in the community.

“Many people chose to sleep in or just relax, but it takes real commitment to serve on a day off from work or school,” Uzoh said.

The Dream Week celebration kickoff Tuesday will allow students to hear the words of Dr. King and learn about his special connection.

The kickoff will be held at SMU in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center Commons from noon to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The event will also feature speakers Dr. Dennis Simon, associate professor of political science, and Dr. Rick Halperin, director of the Embrey Human Rights Program.

SMU President R. Gerald Turner and student leaders will lead SMU’s annual Unity Walk on Wednesday at noon.

The walk, which begins at the flagpole and continues around Bishop Boulevard, is a demonstration of SMU’s commitment to the work of Dr. King.

The week will also feature a screening of the movie “Standing On My Sisters’ Shoulders” Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. in the Hughes-Trigg Forum.

There will also be a lecture given by Dr. Dan Hodge on “The Hostile Gospel: Seeking the Theological Sensibilities within Hip Hop Culture.”

Delta Sigma Theta will be presenting a reenactment of Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech on the steps of Dallas Hall starting at 5 p.m.

The week concludes with a Unity Mixer where there will be celebration of the life and legacy of Dr. King Friday at 6 p.m. at the Varsity in Hughes-Trigg