Mustang Club nets $1.4 million

The SMU Mustang Club, the group that provides operational funding for all SMU intercollegiate athletic teams, completed the 2005 Morgan Campaign Fund Tuesday night.

The campaign, named after legendary football coach Herman “Sleepy” Morgan, finished with pledges totaling $1,400,308 from 1660 donors. These totals surpassed last year’s Fund Drive totals by more than $292,000 and 350 donors.

Led by Morgan Campaign Chairman Gerry York, the 34 other members of the drive conducted the second most successful fund drive since 1989, surpassed only by the 2000 fund drive.

“The Fund Drive’s success can be attributed to two groups of people, our volunteers and our donors,” associate athletic director for development Chris Walker said in a press release.

“Gerry York did an outstanding job as our chairman,” he continued. “Our volunteer’s time, effort and diligence are greatly appreciated as is the generosity of our loyal Mustang Club membership.”

Nineteen of the 34 volunteers surpassed 100 percent of their fundraising goal, led by York, who came in at 124 percent. Leon Wilensky received the most new money (increasing from renewing members and new member dollars) pledged with $19,487. Former SMU swimming coach George McMillion led all volunteers by receiving $124,580 in pledges.

The Mustang Club continues its fundraising efforts throughout the year. For more information, contact 214-768-2582, or logon to www.smumustangs.com.