Volleyball sets records

SMUs Caitlin Rainbird spikes the ball past Southern Miss Nicole Rock (left) and Amanda Huntoon (right) during Sunday afternoons game at Moody.
Ashley Ludlow
SMU’s Caitlin Rainbird spikes the ball past Southern Miss’ Nicole Rock (left) and Amanda Huntoon (right) during Sunday afternoon’s game at Moody.

SMU’s Caitlin Rainbird spikes the ball past Southern Miss’ Nicole Rock (left) and Amanda Huntoon (right) during Sunday afternoon’s game at Moody. (Ashley Ludlow)

It was a record-breaking weekend for the Mustangs as they took on both UCF and Southern Mississippi. The women defeated the Golden Knights in an intense five game battle that set new school and career goals for SMU (25-30, 30-22, 30-22, 16-30, 15-11).SMU fell in three games to Southern Mississippi on Sunday (32-30, 30-23, 30-26). The hard-fought match brought the Mustangs to 10-6 for the season and 1-2 in conference play. Junior Rachel Giubilato dominated the net against UCF. She earned her third and fourth consecutive double-doubles this weekend. The outside hitter set a career high record of 31 kills and 18 digs in the UCF match. Giubilato contributed 34 points to the SMU victory over the Golden Knights. Against Southern Miss, Giubilato posted 19 kills and 12 digs, in addition to three blocks. Caitlin Rainbird also added to SMU’s tenth win of the season with 16 kills and 16 digs. She brought in her seventh double-double of the season against Southern Miss with 11 kills and 10 digs.The Mustang freshmen made a solid contribution to team statistics this weekend. Middle blocker Kendra Kahanek had six kills against UCF and posted seven kills versus Southern Miss. Candice Davis, continuing to fill the libero position for injured Jeannette Evanco, managed 16 digs against the Golden Eagles from Mississippi. Adrienne Zielasko nailed four kills and contributed five points to the Mustang victory over UCF.Junior Kara Cornelius got in on the record-breaking action by making a season-high six blocks against Central Florida. Cornelius also had four blocks versus Southern Miss. The volleyball team looks forward to a busy weekend as it hosts the next two matches here in Dallas. SMU takes on East Carolina Friday night at 7 p.m. and Marshall Sunday at 1 p.m.