Bacchus concert fun, informative

SMU students will have a chance to listen to four local bands on Tuesday night in the Hughes- Trigg Varsity. Bacchus, a chartered student peer education group whose primary focus is to increase awareness among SMU students about alcohol, drug, and sexual health related issues, is putting on a band showcase for students to see the other side of its club.

The fourth annual Bacchus Band Showcase held from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. will feature three bands with SMU students and one band from Austin. Sullivan, Hollington Drive, Auto Escape and Whit’s End will all being playing 30-minute sets.

Daniel Whittle, a member of Whit’s End, is playing in the Bacchus showcase because it is a chance for him to play live music, and he knows the message behind Bacchus.

“I’ve been to a Bacchus showcase before and from what I got out of that is that it’s basically is an organization that promotes good decisions,” he said.

Bacchus’ main priority is working with resident assistants to bring educational programs into the halls. This semester alone Bacchus has done programs on alcohol poisoning, predatory drugs, and cocaine in many different residence halls and Greek houses.

“We do so many programs that focus on education, this is our big social event,” said Co-president Robin Barker.

Bacchus members present things in an informal but informative style, trying to build up a relationship of trust with their audience and remove the stigma that they are an anti-drinking group. Barker has put on the Bacchus Band Showcase the last three years to boost the group reputation.

“People just believe we are an anti-drinking group,” he said. “We definitely aren’t.”

Between bands, members of Bacchus will give 10-minute informal speeches. Topics include responsible drinking and how to focus on “Safe Ways to Study.”

“Safe Ways to Study” will provide students with information about prescription drug abuse. Students will also be informed of the various resources available to them on campus in the run up to exams. Although the event will be informational, Bacchus does not want education to overrun the real reason it is there to have fun.

“People will be able to hear a little about us, but it is focused on the bands,” Barker said.

After last years event drew 150 people Bacchus members have set a goal of 200 people attending this year. The members wish to show students at the showcase the significance of Bacchus.

“We just want to get the word out about Bacchus and our cause,” said Co-president Jamie Holloway. “There are outlets and ways you can do stuff in college without being idiots.”

Instead of the usual stake signs, flyers and bulk e-mails around school, Bacchus has printed almost 2000 concert tickets as advertisements. Using a company that makes real concert tickets, Bacchus wanted a creative way to promote its event.

“We aren’t putting out flyers or stake signs, it is too much clutter,” Barker said. “I wouldn’t go to something that I read on a stake sign.”

With a ticket, the showcase is free to attend. A limited amount of tickets remain at the Mane Desk in Hughes-Trigg and Bacchus members still have some available. The ticket will be taken at the door and used in a drawing for door prizes.

“We have a wide range of prizes, a lot of gift certificates,” said Holloway.

Along with door prizes, the group is supplying free food and drinks to everyone who attends.

Bacchus just wants “students to come see great bands, eat free food and hang out,” said Barker. “It will be a good way to see some SMU talent.”