Randy Rogers Band releases anticipated third album

“We’d tear ourselves apart just so we could make up/ After all the drama baby/ we were back at square one,” sings an emotive Randy Rogers on the first song off the band’s third album, “Just a Matter of Time.”

As the follow-up to the 2005 sophomore, “Like it Used to Be,” and the band’s highly impressive 2004 independent debut, “Rollercoaster,” these good ole’ boys from Cleburne, Texas had a lot to live up to. As the lyrical sample above indicates, their hauntingly truthful descriptions of every complicated facet of relationships offer something for everyone, and do not fail to impress.

Produced by Nashville veteran Radney Foster, along with Rogers, continue the harmonious partnership they began in 2004 with “Rollercoaster.” The collaborations are just as strong for the second go-around, with Foster co-writing four songs, including their explosive and addicting pre-released single, “Kiss Me in the Dark,” which has dominated the country charts for weeks.

The album also showcases the contributions of other songwriters Gary Nicholson, George Ducas, Clint Ingersol, Stephony Smith, Kent Finlay, Drew Womack and Jon Richardson. Richardson is the sole writer of the song “You Don’t Know Me,” while Foster and Ducas co-wrote “Kiss Me in the Dark” without any involvement of Rogers.

Rogers, the son of a preacher, grew up in a home filled with music and he definitely isn’t afraid to wear his heart on his sleeve. As the co-writer for 10 of the 12 tracks on the new album, Rogers has earned his bragging rights. Part of what makes his songs so good is the blatant honesty and emotional vulnerability of the lyrics. He doesn’t shy away from anything, putting into words what many of us feel but are too timid to say.

From painful breakups to makeups, the fear of falling, the “one that got away,” the regret of letting go and trying desperately to hold on, Rogers does an excellent job of varying the theme of his tracks. He chooses not to dwell too long on doleful sounds of heartbreak, as in the haunting, fiddle-laden “If Anyone Asks,” but also candidly speaks his mind on the fiery “You Could’ve Left Me and You Start Over Your Way.”

Even more impressive than the lyrical talent of the album is the melodious, rock-tinged, Texas-country he debuted on “Rollercoaster.”

There are many Red-Dirt and Texas music groups floating around these days, but Rogers is one of the few who have successfully won over the masses without sacrificing style.

If loyal fans were worried the new record deal with Mercury and the band’s growing fame would prompt a corruption of their gritty, original sound, they need not worry. Rogers stays true to his roots and makes himself highly distinguishable from the all-too-common, cookie-cutter Nashville sound of his counterparts.

Perhaps even more impressive than the actual album is hearing it live, which hundreds of fans witnessed recently for the “Just a Matter of Time” release party at Billy Bob’s Texas in Fort Worth.

Fans packed the dance hall for a free copy of the disc and a live preview of the album, a sight and sound well worth the time and money. With Rogers on lead vocals and acoustic guitar, Geoffrey Hill on electric guitar, Jon Richardson on bass, Les Lawless on drums and the crowd-pleasing and dominating sound of Billy Black on fiddle, they had no problem promoting the album.

Seasoned fans will definitely be pleased with the band’s anticipated third release, and new-comers now have a strong addition to their play-list.