Tri-Delt, Lambda Chi tops in Greek grades

After using a little elbow grease and a lot of number-crunching, the SMU Greek Life scholastics report came out this summer.

Ryan Williams and Shannon Sumerlin, coordinators of student activities and Greek affairs, compiled the report over the summer using information from the registrar’s office.

Among the Greek communities – Panhellenic, Multicultural Greek Council, Interfraternity Council and the National Panhellenic Council – Panhellenic came out on top with an average 3.312 GPA, beating out the 3.231 all-female GPA. Next came the IFC average at 3.052, followed by the MGC average of 3.046. NPHC recorded an average GPA of 2.862.

Sumerlin, the Panhellenic adviser, said, “Panhellenic’s grades are consistently above the all-university and all-women’s average,” adding that “the scholastic accomplishments of the fraternity and sorority community emphasizes the importance that students place on their academic endeavors.”

Williams, who advises the Interfraternity Council and the National Panhellenic Council, said they’ve done the report every semester but wanted to make it more public. The report can be seen at smugreeks.com.

“It’s important for people to know where we are and to make decisions based on that,” he said. “We want to make sure people are doing well academically because that’s what we stand for.”

According to Williams, the rankings are determined the same way a student’s GPA is determined. He divides the total number of points a student earns (four for an A, three for a B, etc.) by the number of hours a student takes.

Among the Panhellenic sororities, Delta Delta Delta took the No. 1 spot with a 3.454 GPA. President Sarah Leverett said the sorority does offer study hours, but it’s optional. The chapter also rewards members who’ve made an ‘A’ on papers or tests by giving them “scholar dollars.” The dollars can be redeemed at a scholarship auction at the end of the semester for prizes.

“At chapter we have drawings for gift certificates [to reward grades],” she added.

Fraternity Lambda Chi Alpha placed first with a 3.321 GPA among the all fraternities, not just IFC.

Matthew Bengloff, president of Lambda Chi, chalks it up to the members the fraternity selects.

“We really don’t do much academic programming,” he said. “We look for guys who take school seriously … they know when to study and when to go out, and it shows.”

Pi Beta Phi, who placed last among the Panhellenic sororities, still beat out the all-undergraduate average but fell short of the all-female average with a 3.207. The chapter president didn’t return a phone call seeking comment.

Kappa Sigma had the lowest IFC GPA with a 2.883. President Will Knight declined to comment.

Williams said the report is published to help the fraternities.

“It’s to make sure we can sit down with them and find the best way to make it work,” he said. “Each chapter has a written scholarship program, but it’s up to them to follow through on it.”

Lauren Powell, coordinator of intellectual development for Panhellenic, works with the scholarship chairs of each sorority to help organize programming.

“We have over 40 girls with 4.0s and over 300 have a 3.6 or above,” she said. “We’re really really proud of the girls and want everyone to know that.”