“Phantom prof” out of line

Blog’s entries eerily similar to life on the Hilltop

Recently, Ed Board stumbled across a blog written by an ornery professor. The blog entitled “The Phantom Prof,” details the author’s complaints and ruminations portray a setting very similar to our own university.

Ed Board will say this much: the blog is superbly written and at times amusing. However, as much as this “phantom prof” seems to be a stickler for punctuation, spelling and grammar, Ed Board wonders why Adderall was misspelled in the Nov. 14, 2004 entry and “departments” was not given a possessive apostrophe in the March 10, 2005 entry.

Consider the following, posted on Feb. 9, 2005: “The missing frosh boy was found. He’s OK, but seems to have had some sort of psychotic episode. A worker in a downtown homeless shelter recognized him from his photos on the news and called the cops. The kid had been wandering around downtown, sitting in the public library all day to keep warm and then eating and sleeping at the Salvation Army shelter.”

Ed Board finds this posting eerily similar to Alexander Weckiewicz’ disappearance at the end of January.

Okay, so maybe it’s some sort of odd set of circumstances. Ed Board doesn’t think so. Here’s another example from a posting on March 11, 2005: “A prep-school-educated freshman from a wealthy local family made up to $10,000 a week making fake IDs and driver’s licenses with equipment set up in his on-campus dorm room. He also sold date-rape drugs, speed, marijuana and other substances.”

To Ed Board, this sounds like a verbatim rap sheet of former SMU bad boy Doug Havard.

Since three is a magic number, let’s delve further into this blog and find another example. The Feb. 25, 2005 posting offers the following: “A female student reported that she had been ‘touched in an inappropriate and intimate manner’ by a ‘licensed male massage therapist’ at an upscale salon/spa a few blocks from campus.”

Now, the SMU PD campus alert published on Feb. 24, 2005: “an SMU student reported to University Park Police that she had been inappropriately touched by a contract licensed male massage therapist on Feb. 12, 2005, at the Nails and Spa Salon in the Park Cities Plaza near SMU.”

Coincidence? Ed Board thinks not. But we’ll let the readers be the judge. Visit http://phantomprof.blogspot.com and decide for yourself. We guarantee this Web site will be hotter than thefacebook.com by the end of the week.

Whether or not this blog is referring to SMU is irrelevant. Blogs like this are inappropriate and unprofessional in any setting.