Salsa dancing kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month

The Hughes-Trigg Commons was filled with the sights, sounds and smells of Latin flavor at the Hispanic Heritage Month kickoff Wednesday.

Students were treated to a duo of Latin dancers, saucy salsa music and a variety of delicacies from Gloria’s Mexican restaurant.

The event is the first in a series of programs running through Oct. 24 and is a collaboration among several student groups: the College Hispanic American Students, the Program Council Hispanic Events Committee and the Department of Multicultural Student Affairs.

CHAS Membership Chair Kym Gonzalez said Hispanic Heritage Month gives students the opportunity to “celebrate the art, culture and history of Hispanic heritage.”

There is a different event planned each week, and they cover a broad spectrum of cultural areas, including a film festival on Friday and a discussion entitled, “We are not all Mexicans.”

PC Marketing Director Elizabeth Rubalcava said this year Hispanic Heritage Month is emphasizing the many different Central American cultures in hopes that students will have a more thorough understanding of Hispanics.

“We want to commemorate all the countries in the Hispanic culture and show everyone not all Hispanics are from Mexico,” she said.

Rubalcava said bringing the events to campus help enlighten the student body and give them opportunities they might not otherwise get to experience.

“Sometimes students don’t make the time to go see it off campus, so its important we bring it on campus and make it accessible to students,” she said.

Both women agreed that Hispanic Heritage Month isn’t just for Hispanic students. They want all students to get involved and participate in the activities.

“We want people who aren’t Hispanic to be able to learn about our culture, but also give our Hispanic students an outlet to express their culture,” Rubalcava said.