Volleyball takes on UCF

The Mustang volleyball program heads to Orlando, Fla. today to take on the University of Central Florida. SMU is 9-5 in the season and hopes to add a victory against the Golden Knights.

UCF is 5-7 in its season and 3-4 for matches played at home. SMU’s on-the-road record is also 3-4. The Knights recently beat USF with senior outside hitter Maina Heming contributing 15 kills to the match. Heming and junior outside hitter Schanell Neiderworder will be ones to watch against the Mustangs.

SMU’s outside hitters, juniors Rachel Giubilato and Caitlin Rainbird, pack a punch of their own. Both have been named to two separate All-Tournament teams so far this year, with Giubilato taking MVP honors at the SMU Radisson Hotel Invitational.

Sophomore Natalie Peters is also set to make a solid contribution to the Mustangs in Florida. The Austin native is looking to set a personal blocking record in addition to being named to the First-Team All-Conference USA this year. She was named the MVP of the Radisson Hotel Mustang Classic after posting 15 kills, nine digs and six blocks.

Freshman Candice Davis will continue to play in the libero position as senior Jeannette Evanco is still out with an injury. Davis had 14 digs in the win over Mercer at the Indiana Credit Union Invitational last weekend.

Houston native Kendra Kahanek, also a freshman, is expected to continue her strong performance at middle blocker. During the match against Chattanooga, Kahanek posted 10 kills and four blocks. The match was the second time she had reached double-digits in kills.

The Mustangs head into the Friday night match against UCF ready to play their best volleyball.

SMU returns to Dallas this weekend to take on Southern Mississippi at Moody Coliseum Sunday at 7 p.m.