Afghan bazaar promotes women’s economic freedom

TY WILLIAMS/The Daily Campus
Alina Atash, of the company Artizan Sarai, shows products for sale Thursday morning inside the Collins Executive Center.

Alina Atash, of the company Artizan Sarai, shows products for sale Thursday morning inside the Collins Executive Center. (TY WILLIAMS/The Daily Campus)

Colorful rugs, stone jewelry and bright bags filled the Collins Executive Education Center Thursday as Dallas community members stopped by the Afghan Bazaar hosted by The George W. Bush Presidential Center.

The authentic bazaar was part of the Presidential Center’s “Building Afghanistan’s Future” conference about promoting women’s freedom and advancing their economic opportunity.

All of the items featured at the Bazaar were created and designed by female Afghan artisans. Proceeds from each item purchased will go directly toward improving the quality of life for women in Afghanistan.

Arzu Studios, one of the featured vendors, brought a selection of sustainable rugs to the market. The rugs were designed around themes such as confidence, trust and unity.

The mission of Arzu Studios closely ties into the theme of the conference as a whole. Ninety-three percent of the revenue generated by the company goes toward creating jobs in rural Afghanistan villages.

Other featured vendors included the Afghan World Wide Shopping Online Mall, Afghan Women Initiative Shoe Manufacturing Company, Artizan Sarai and the Gulistan Sadaqat Company.