Faculty Senate reports progress

Wednesday’s faculty senate meeting in the Hughes-Trigg Ballroom painted a positive picture of things happening as well as what’s to come.  It also revealed positive steps to be taken in overcoming challenges in various undertakings.

Vice President Brad Cheves applauded everyone’s input in ensuring that the Inside SMU event, which took place on April 9, was successful. Many alumni and prospective students from around the Dallas Metroplex came to listen to lectures from the faculty and connect with the SMU community.

“Lots of alumni want to stay in touch with this campus,” Cheves said. “While we have wonderful events throughout the year, we need something to bring them together.”
Faculty Senate President Fred Olness expressed satisfaction with the reception, and hoped that it could be held annually.

Olness reminded members of the forthcoming elections, which will be held April 28-29. Outgoing members who have completed their three-year term will be replaced.  Linda Eads will take Olness’ place as president in the coming year.

The Research subcommittee head Thomas Coan reported that the committee has been working on streamlining administrative processes for efficient inter-departmental interaction in order to arrive at timely hiring and purchasing decisions.  He said that things are set to improve.

“The committee makes sure that faculty is doing the right things on campus so as to remain competitive and to attract external funding for research.” Olness said.

He added that such funding has made it possible to expand the number of undergraduate research programs for talented students.  There are currently sixty students benefiting from such funding.  Olness said that participation in research programs offers students an advantage during job searches.

Coan also reported an increase in staff participation in retirement programs at SMU from 23 percent in 2008 to 77 percent in 2009.  Membership is optional for those under 35 years. 

Daniel Orlovsky from the Athletics subcommittee said that the department is collaborating with the Learning Enhancement Center to offer athletes mentorship opportunities so that they have the proper academic support that they need to excel in the classroom.

He said that there are ongoing efforts to improve the admission process so as to attract students with the best talent as well as academic potential.