TV commentator John Stossel speaks on media coverage of free markets, economy

The Daily Campus/Lauren Smart
Commentator John Stossel spoke at a luncheon hosted by the William J. O’Neil Center for Global Markets and Freedom Wednesday, March 30.

Commentator John Stossel spoke at a luncheon hosted by the William J. O’Neil Center for Global Markets and Freedom Wednesday, March 30. (The Daily Campus/Lauren Smart)

Emmy-award-winning host and commentator John Stossel, who made his name as a consumer reporter for shows like 20/20, spoke Wednesday as a part of The William J. O’Neil Center for Global Markets and Freedom series.

His speech, entitled “Prosperity and its Enemies,” focused mainly on the importance of coverage of free markets in the media.

Stossel pioneered the field of consumer reporting, developing in-depth reports on a variety of topics, everything from government to business and culture.

In the speech he spoke briefly about his career but focused mainly on what he has observed while carrying out his job. He said numerous times how competition solves economical problems more efficiently than government.

“Things get better on their own in a free society,” Stossel said. “I would argue that government is like someone who gets in front of the parade and claims to be leading the parade.”

He thanked attendees for fighting for the liberty and economic freedom that made America possible.

But he said that government is not entirely to blame, as there are not enough journalists questioning the big picture to determine what are the real risks to society.

Throughout his speech, he reiterated the idea that free markets and small government are the keys to a successful economy.

“I wish we had more people in the media who want to talk about free markets,” Stossel said. “But journalism students aren’t interested, at least not in my experience.”