SMU Literary Festival brings authors to campus

SMU’s Literary Festival, which used to be one of the most important literary festivals in the country and a significant part of SMU’s history, will be held on campus April 22 through April 24.

This year’s festival presents authors, readings, luncheons and a performance.

“I met with our SMU Writer’s group and talked to them about what kind of writers they wanted,” Associate Professor and Director of Creative Writing David Haynes said.
Most of the students wanted fiction, poetry and even fantasy.   

“Writers came to us many ways,” Haynes said. “Some are former students and some are writers we love and respect. All of them have fairly recent books, which is something we wanted to have, and some of them are former students of mine.”

One of these is SMU grad Tracy Daugherty, who agreed to come when his former professors asked him to attend.

One aspect of this festival is that students will have the opportunity to meet with writers.
They can schedule 30-minute appointments and get help with their current writing.

Students can also join the writers for a free meal.

“Everyone is welcome to join us for lunch on Saturday—an opportunity to visit with the writers and listen to a discussion about how and why they work,” Haynes said.

There will be a lecture reception in the Texana Room of the DeGolyer Library Thursday, April 22, followed by readings from fiction writer Jill McCorkle at 6:30 p.m.

Friday’s events include readings by fiction writers Elizabeth Eslami and Robert Redick in the Stanley Reading Room of DeGolyer Library at 3 p.m.

Then, there will be a reception in the Texana Room at 6:30 p.m., followed by readings from writers Tracy Daugherty and Marjorie Sandor at 7 p.m.

The luncheon with the writers is in Hughes-Trigg Promenades A and B Saturday at noon, followed by readings from poet Mary Stewart Hammond and fiction writer Robin Black.

The festival will close at 8:30 p.m. with a special performance by Philip S. Bryant and Carolyn Wilkins in the Varsity at Hughes-Trigg.

RSVPs are required to [email protected] or 214-768-2945.