SBS celebrates Earth Day with free food, music

The Barefoot on the Boulevard charity event occurs this Saturday.
SARAH POTTHARST/The Daily Campus

The Barefoot on the Boulevard charity event occurs this Saturday. (SARAH POTTHARST/The Daily Campus)

As a celebration of Earth Day, Students for a Better Society and the sustainability committee at SMU are hosting an outdoor charity event called ‘Barefoot on the Boulevard,’ which will benefit the Texas Campaign for the Environment.

The event will include a full day of live music, free food and environmental education from 12 to 5 p.m. Saturday, April 24. It is open to everyone.

“Barefoot on the Boulevard is a great event for Earth Day,” said sophomore and sustainability committee member David de la Fuente.  “We try to educate people about protecting the environment in a fun way, while enjoying themselves with free food and music.”

‘Barefoot on the Boulevard,’ inspired by the famous Woodstock Festival, will be an active and earth-loving event.  Four local bands, Ugly Lion, The Rx, Prata and Bee Cave, will play on SMU’s Bishop Boulevard.

Food and drinks will also be provided.  Chipotle burritos, Panda Express, samples of Jimmy John’s sandwiches and Coke beverages will be available free of charge. Natsumi Gelato and Frozen Yogurt and Jamba Juice will set up on campus and donate a percentage of their sales to TCE.

There will also be activities like tie-dying, yoga on the grass, henna, face painting, caricatures and more.   All of the activities will incorporate an eco-friendly way of thinking while having fun.The purpose of the event is to encourage those who attend to “Reduce, Reuse and Rock N’ Roll!”

“We’re going to have so much fun celebrating Earth Day. I hope everyone will come kick back and enjoy the day!” said freshman Jordan Lee, communications officer for the sustainability committee.

Not only is the intent to create awareness about Earth Day, but participating students also aim to create interactive activities for those who are already eco-friendly.

“This is an excellent event highlighting SMU’s sustainability evolvement,” Mike Paul, chair of the sustainability committee said.

SBS, a student activist club at SMU that promotes nonpartisan social progress, focuses its energies in five general areas: human rights, animal rights, environmental protection, self challenge and community service.

SBS hosts Barefoot on the Boulevard each year as its major environmental event.