TEDxSMU brownbag: Engineering errors blamed in Haiti’s losses after earthquake

Images of destruction in Haiti were projected on a screen launching the spring TEDxSMU brownbag series Tuesday in Caruth Hall.

In “Haiti’s Disaster of Engineering,” Peter Haas, the video’s commentator, said Haiti was not a natural disaster, but a disaster of engineering due to non-compliance and building codes that left most building vulnerable. At present, Haas questions whether the rebuilding efforts still embrace bad old building practices.

Haas is the co-founder of Appropriate Infrastructure Development Group (AIDG), which connects people to electricity, sanitation and clean water through a combination of business incubation, education and outreach.

TED, which stands for Technology, Entertainment and Design, brings leaders together to share current problems and possible solutions with Southern Methodist University students and people in the Dallas community. The “x” specifies the event was independently organized.

After the earthquake, Haas’s organization brought in earthquake engineers to inspect over 1,500 buildings, medical centers and schools. AIDG continues to be engaged in the reconstruction process in Haiti.

Following the video, the audience discussed options on the reconstruction efforts, specifically, how destruction can be avoided in the future, as well as how to adequately help the earthquake victims.

Stephanie Chambers, an architect, said that there was a need to understand socio-cultural issues in Haiti while focusing on the physical reconstruction.

“The rebuilding effort in Haiti needs to be from bottom to top, rather than from top to bottom,” Chambers said. “Macro-lending can give women power to make wealth that will enable them to take care of their families.”

Shalin Mody, a member of Engineering without Borders organization, believes prioritizing the needs of Haitians will enhance the reconstruction effort.

“Focus should be to help people whose physical and mental issues may have been ignored, then move to other areas,” Mody said.

TEDxSMU will continue to hold the brownbag sessions weekly throughout the semester through SMU’s Lyle School of Engineering.

“The audience will vote on topics that they want covered in these events,” Assistant Director of TEDxSMU Natalie Stalmach said. “These sessions will allow access to engaging discussions on campus.”