Greek gathering draws women

So much for an “All Greek Picnic.” Though the annual rush event is meant to include all Greek Councils, potential members were greeted by a sea of sorority women Monday evening.

“There’s a lot more girls than guys here,” said junior Kappa Kappa Gamma Jessica Roska. “It’s mainly because girls need to network during rush. Guys just party and get drunk.”

According to Pi Beta Phi member Caroline Carter, it’s hard for sorority women to meet freshmen unless they are involved in the SMU nightlife scene. “Events like these are the only opportunity I get to meet potential new members,” says Carter. “If I didn’t participate in every sorority event possible, I’d have no idea who these girls were at rush.”

Unlike the IFC, Panhellenic rules make it difficult for sorority women to get acquainted with first-year students before rush. While Fraternities throw parties and organize date-dashes all first semester, sorority members are prohibited from even sitting at the same table as freshmen girls.

Pi Kappa Alpha member Dan Marshall agrees that fraternity men don’t take rush as seriously. The small number of men who actually did show up to Monday’s event headed straight for the picnic table. “It’s typical to see the guys only show up when there’s food involved,” said Marshall.

According to Coordinator of Member Development Laura Ann Elpers, the executive board is working to attain a unified Greek Council this year. In the past “Panhellenic dominated,” said Elpers. This year the board wants to emphasize “go Greek, before go specific chapter.”

In order to publicize this intent, the board distributed blue and red “Go Greek” t-shirts to all Greek councils for the first time. Panhellenic and IFC, as well as MGC members, have been seen in this shirt all over campus stressing the importance that students are Greek together regardless of the council they are affiliated with.

The Greek council presidents recently discussed holding a Greek Block Party to further the concept of “Greeks supporting Greeks,” Elpers says. The idea is have three or four members from each chapter get together so that general members can get to know general members. The event is scheduled for later this fall.