Mustangs sweep Rebels, Bulldogs in Mississippi

O’Rear scores big in both wins

SMU started the weekend off with a win against Ole Miss on Friday night. The Mustangs got off to a slow start and were down 0-2 three minutes into the second half. But just 20 seconds later junior Krystal Bailey scored a goal off her own rebound. According to Head Coach John Cossaboon, “Krystal Bailey stepped up at the exact moment when we needed it.” And just four minutes later senior Olivia O’Rear tied the game at two on a goal assisted by senior Susanne Collins.

Then about five minutes after that, O’Rear struck again on an unassisted goal to give the Mustangs a 3-2 lead they would hold onto for the rest of the game. Coach Cossaboon added that they ‘weren’t so much concerned about scoring another goal, but preserving the 3-2 lead.’ And the Mustangs were able to do that earning them their fourth win of the season.

Then on Sunday SMU took on Mississippi State University. Olivia O’Rear continued her attack on the back of the net against the Bulldogs, book ending MSU’s only goal.

Her goals were separated by 90 minutes, and each held great importance. Her first, in the 17th minute, was unassisted and gave the Mustangs the early lead. SMU finished the half with a 1-0 lead. It was in the 50th minute of the game that MSU’s Treena Ferguson tied the game at one.

It stayed that way for the final 40 minutes of regulation and through the first overtime. It was in the second overtime in the 107th minute that Olivia O’Rear scored her fourth goal of the weekend. An assist from Jena Lind helped O’Rear finish the game and a perfect weekend for the Mustangs.

O’Rear was named the Conference-USA Offensive Player of the Week after scoring four of SMU’s five goals this past weekend, including both game winners. “She is always there, one of our leaders, but this weekend she went through the roof,” according to Cossaboon, “the goals she had were world class, she came through when we needed something.”

The next game for the Mustangs is in Fort Worth, against Texas Christian University. Cossaboon compared this game to the North Texas game, a lot of these girls are from Texas and have either played with or against each other at some point. “It really almost doesn’t matter who the better team is, it’s a lot of emotion,” and this matchup will be “fare more of an equal battle than it has ever been.” With evenly matched teams, it can often “come down to who wants what and is willing to get it done.” This weekend the Mustangs proved that they are capable of getting it done, and will look to continue their streak into Dallas/Fort Worth rival, TCU.