Brown Bag an SMU gem

Semi-annual dance festival worthwhile to all students

Ed Board members have seen a number of Brown Bag performances, but this semester’s is superlative.

Each and every piece in this semester’s performance is extraordinarily well choreographed, and the dancers all perform exquisitely.

Ed Board’s position isn’t to review performances, but we feel that Brown Bag is an event that should be attended by every student on this campus. It’s an amazing opportunity for the common student to experience a cultural event that is not only on campus, but also free.

Some pieces show incredible choreographic talent. These represent hours of work, and amazing creative talent from their choreographers.

“Pass Her By” by first-year dancer Jade Curtis was unusual in the use of a chair as a prop, but it didn’t come off as strained or gimmicky.

“Ukase” by senior Robert Talamantez included non-dancer Dan Gordon, and live music by freshman cellist Adam Eason. These non-dance majors don’t detract from the piece. Far from it, they make a great piece even stronger.

“Arrival” by juniors Ashley Benninghoff and Philip John Orsano, showed exceptional talent in the arrangement and movement of 13 dancers.

Every piece had talented dancers, but some still stood out.

Sophomore Emily Morrow performed exceptionally in her self-choreographed piece, “Descubrir.”

Ed Board encourages you to break out of your normal routine of Chick-Fil-A in the Varsity day in and day out. The energy inside the OAC lobby during the performance will really open your eyes to the talents of the people at our school. If nothing else, go to Brown Bag this week to support your friends and classmates, they’ll appreciate it.

If you didn’t already know, SMU has one of the best dance departments in the nation, don’t let the opportunity to see some of the most impressive performers in the nation slip away.

Brown Bag continues today and tomorrow, and Ed Board suggests that anyone who hasn’t seen the show makes an effort to make it to the Owen Arts Center lobby. Today’s performance is at 12:30 p.m. and Friday’s show is at noon.