Sports brief

The women’s basketball team (17-7, 8-6 WAC) will try to bounce back from a 1-2 road trip when they host the Boise State Broncos (9-15, 4-11 WAC) this evening.

Though they lost to the conference-leading Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters (16-5, 12-2 WAC) last weekend, the Mustangs, currently third in the WAC, maintain a bright outlook on the home stretch of the season.

“Every good team forgets its past,” said freshman guard Joslyn Greenard. “We’re just trying to maintain a positive attitude.”

Boise St. brings a squad with three players averaging over 11 points per game in WAC competition. Forward Cassidy Blaine (12.4), guard Tasha Harris (11.5) and center Michelle Hessing (11.0) will represent a trio of offensive forces against SMU. The Broncos claim a 37.5 shooting percentage, barely edging the Mustangs, who are shooting 37.2.

“We’re going to have to stay with them in the game,” Greenard said. “We have to bring our defensive game and have a good shooting game ourselves.”

With the WAC tournament in Reno, Nev. on the horizon, the team knows that each of its last four regular-season games is crucial. A good sign for the Mustangs is the fact that only one of their upcoming opponents (Rice) is ranked above them, and the four teams have combined for a sub-par conference record of 28-30.

“Everybody wants a good seating for the WAC tournament,” Greenard explained. “People who don’t even have a chance want to knock you off.”

Tip-off against Boise State is set for 7:00 p.m. in Moody Coliseum.