Bone marrow drive to benefit daughter of alumni

Overwhelming struggles that can seem never-ending can drive people to ask for a miracle. Sometimes it can be difficult to recognize those who are suffering, Student Senate discussed a way in which they would reach out to an alumni family in their meeting March 23.

John and Nancy Anderson, the former presidents of SMU Kappa Sigma and  Tri Delta, respectively, have asked SMU and the Dallas community to help save the life of their 2-year-old daughter, Ann Hinckley Anderson, who has been diagnosed with aplastic anemia.

According to Aetna InteliHealth, aplastic anemia is a rare and potentially fatal disease in which the bone marrow does not make sufficient red blood cells, white blood cells or platelets. Because none of Ann’s relatives or family members are compatible donors, she is in desperate need of a bone marrow transplant.

Student Senate President Patrick Kobler said to members: “I encourage all of you to spread the word. You should go and take a cotton swab and brush the edges of your mouth. They will run the tests and if it matches they will let you know.”

The National Bone Marrow Registry, a private organization, will be in charge of obtaining the results and of contacting potential donors.

“It is all confidential, and none of your DNA goes to the Government,” Kobler said. “If you would like to, you can choose to give a bone marrow transplant. There is no danger to the person donating.”

Potential donors might be fearful of the process in obtaining the bone marrow, but Kobler assured the Senate members that there was no need to be afraid.

“It is not like it is in that movie with Will Smith, ‘Seven Pounds.’ It is not that painful, you just feel some discomfort,” he said.

According to Kobler, the movement to find bone marrow donors will be called, “The Ann Hinckley Bone Marrow Drive.” The Anderson’s would like their daughter’s cause to help raise awareness of the more than 6,000 individuals who are in need of a bone marrow transplant.

“I think it is really important to do this,” Kobler said. “Nancy Anderson was the Student Body secretary. She was one of our own, and she reached out to us.”

Kobler was not the only one who agreed with the importance of individuals supporting the foundation. Student Body Senator Jasmine Carr also begged students for help.

“We should not only encourage students to see if they qualify for the actual transplant, but also encourage them to do it even though they do not qualify. Since their name can be registered in the registry, you can potentially save another life who is a match,” stressed Carr.

There will be several bone marrow drives in the upcoming month held by the National Bone Marrow Registration. “Be The Match” will be at SMU this Tuesday through Thursday from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, the organization will be at Hughes-Trigg, and on Wednesday they will be at the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports. The next drive will be held on March 27, in Jacksonville, Fla.

According to “Be The Match,” if you can’t make it to the drive, you can register for the online drive. The organization will send you a kit containing a cotton swab that you can mail back to them.

For more information, you can visit their Web site, bethematch.org.