Daily Campus Oscar Picks

With the Academy Awards coming up this Sunday The Daily Campus would like to give our predictions on who the winners might be.

Actor in a Leading Role:

Don Cheadle-Hotel Rwanda, Johnny Depp-Finding Neverland, Leonardo DiCaprio-The Aviator, Clint Eastwood-Million Dollar Baby, Jamie Foxx-Ray

Alix McAlpine: Jamie Foxx — the buzz was loud before the movie even came out, it would be absurd not to reward his performance in this film, although Don Cheadle and DiCaprio were both excellent in their roles.

Clark Castle: Foxx and DiCaprio both took home Golden Globes, so those two are obviously the favorites. I’m going with Foxx though; his performance as Ray Charles was on to a ‘T,’ so that’s my pick. Although, I wouldn’t be disappointed if Depp walked away with it.

Actor in a Supporting Role:

Alan Alda-The Aviator, Thomas Haden Church-Sideway, Jamie Foxx-Collateral, Morgan Freeman-Million Dollar Baby, Clive Owen-Closer

Alix McAlpine: Thomas Haden Church might take this one. Although Morgan Freeman might, that’s a tough one. Both very good performances

Clark Castle: I really like Foxx in Collateral, and if he’s awarded here I don’t see him picking up best actor; therefore, I’m counting him out of this one. I’m going with Freeman for Million Dollar Baby; he was the backbone of that film.

Actress in a Leading Role:

Annette Bening-Being Julia, Catalina Sandino Moreno-Maria Full of Grace, Imelda Staunton-Vera Drake, Hillary Swank-Million Dollar Baby, Kate Winslet-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Clark Castle: I think Winslet will take this one in an upset. Her performance in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind combined with Finding Neverland make her the favorite in my opinion. Swank did do a lot of physical training and dieting, and I know Academy voters love that, but I’m still going with Winslet.

Alix McAlpine: Kate Winslet, or Hillary Swank. I personally preferred Winslet’s role; I think she was amazing, and that movie is definitely a favorite of mine. So Winslet.

Actress in a Supporting Role:

Cate Blanchett-The Aviator, Laura Linney-Kinsey, Virginia Madsen-Sideways, Sophie Okonedo-Hotel Rwanda, Natalie Portman-Closer

Alix McAlpine: Sophie Okoneda was amazing, no doubt about it.

Clark Castle: I’m going with Portman in this one. The acting in Closer was too superb not honor at least one member of the cast and I think Portman will reap the benefits of the entire cast’s performances.

Animated Feature Film:

The Incredibles, Shark Tale, Shrek 2

Alix McAlpine: The Incredibles, Definitely. Shark Tale was almost bad and Shrek 2 was cute, but not as phenomenal as the Incredibles.

Clark Castle: I thought The Incredibles was good, but too long. Shrek 2 was better than the first, and in my opinion, a film that should’ve been in discussion of best picture. Shrek 2 should break Disney’s hold on this category.

Directing:

Clint Eastwood-Million Dollar Baby, Martin Scorsese-The Aviator, Taylor Hackford-Ray, Alexander Payne-Sideways, Mike Leigh-Vera Drake

Alix McAlpine: Clint Eastwood did beautiful work on that movie. I think he’ll win.

Clark Castle: I’m going with Eastwood, provided that he doesn’t win best actor. If he does take best actor, my pick’s for Payne. Eastwood did a great job with Mystic River last year and didn’t take the award, and I think Academy voters will remember that and honor him this year for an even better film in Million Dollar Baby.

Best Picture:

The Aviator, Finding Neverland, Million Dollar Baby, Ray, Sideways

Alix McAlpine: Sideways is too left of center to win even though it’s a great film. it’s a toss up between Ray and The Aviator. I think the aviator might take it.

Clark Castle: I think it’s a toss-up between The Aviator and Million Dollar Baby, I expect Million Dollar Baby to rack up more awards. I think in the end though, The Aviator will walk away with the biggest prize of all – best picture.

The Academy Awards will air on Sunday, Feb. 27 at 7 p.m. on ABC.