‘Save a Life’ no gimmick

Ed Board says to try the drunk driving simulator, not the real thing

SMU has presented some very interesting programs on campus over the years.

Program Council has really pulled out all the stops though with Monday’s program, the “Save a Life Tour”.

The “Save a Life Tour” is a “drunk driving simulation” designed to discourage students from drinking and driving.

Ed Board is very curious as to how they will pull this off.

A drunk driving simulation? Will it be like those wacky “beer goggles” that RLSH sometimes uses to show what drinking does to you?

Because things like that don’t give an accurate representation at all of what the effects of drinking are.

A simulation that artificially slows down your reaction time or distorts your vision will just be disregarded by students as “another anti-drinking gimmick.”

The worst accidents involving drunk driving are generally results of poor judgment rather than physical impairment.

Admittedly, poor judgment is an effect of drinking, but it’s not the sort of thing that can be simulated.

What are they going to do, have your “vehicle” turn left when you spin the wheel right?

As we said before, students will just dismiss this as a gimmick.

Likely they’ll say, “Well, I may have crashed in the game, but that’s because it was cheating. I’m way better than that in real life.”

Ed Board knows that the feasibility of the following situation is low, but we still think that it would make for a more educational experience.

Students should be allowed to come to Dedman to use a regular driving simulator. While there, they can get as drunk as they want and then get a chance to use the simulator.

We believe this would be much more believable, and attendance would be far greater, because, seriously, who’s going to turn down free alcohol?

Or better yet, how about real measures to prevent drunk driving such as road checks into campus during certain hours on the weekends? Ed Board’s guessing that the jail cells would be overflowing with SMU students between Thursday and Saturday nights.

Maybe the judicial officer can’t handle that many cases.

In any case, Ed Board hopes that students will attend the “drunk driving simulation” and take it seriously.

Drinking and driving does kill. Ed Board says: DON’T DO IT.